Interested in expanding your data analytics skills in a real-world environment this summer?
Te Pūnaha Matatini, the Centre of Research Excellence for Complex Systems and Networks, is offering paid student internships for 10 weeks over the 2017-18 summer months in organisations based in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.
We have opportunities for teams of undergraduate and postgraduate students enrolled in New Zealand universities for internships working on projects with Iwi, government organisations, and industry.
Last year, we placed around a dozen students at a variety of organisations:
“The project directly related to what I was studying and the course I had studied at the beginning of the year. I was really passionate and loved going into work because I knew the work I was doing was contributing to making a difference for New Zealanders.” – 2016-17 student intern at the Social Investment Agency in Wellington.
This year, there are some exciting new opportunities such as intern with Te Reo Irirangi O Te Hiku O Te Ika, who are creating language tools that will enable speech recognition and natural language processing of te reo Māori. The project will require the collection of more than 100,000 sentences and 250 hours of Māori language corpus. Once complete, the aim is to provide these language tools to the Māori ICT industry.
- Conduct a supervised research project for 10 weeks over the summer months.
- Work in teams to analyse data on important projects in data science.
- Receive a stipend of $6,000 plus appropriate support for relocation.
- Extend your analytics skills by working with enterprise data sets.
- Obtain 10 weeks of valuable industry placement and gain experience in leading a research team.
- Receive a stipend of $8,000 plus appropriate support for relocation.
Undergraduate and postgraduate internships are open to students with some background in economics, social, or natural sciences with a strong background in mathematics (including multi-variate calculus and linear algebra), statistics or computer science.
|Mon 14 Aug 2017
||Fri 29 Sep 2017
||late Oct 2017
||Mon 20 Nov 2017
To apply, please submit:
- A cover letter detailing your current study, suitability, and why you would like to undertake the internship.
- Your CV (no longer than 3 pages).
- Your academic transcript.
- Your demographic details.
Please send your applications to: Kathryn Morgan (email@example.com) by Friday 29 September 2017. Applicants will be notified of the outcomes by late October.