My day at the Human Rights Commission Diversity Forum!

The other day (Monday 25th) I had a really awesome experience when I attended the Human Rights Commission Diversity Forum as part of their media team. I first heard about this opportunity through an email from the Media and Communications Department at UC, and as soon as I saw it I jumped at the chance to be a part of it.

The forum was held at UC, mainly in C Block lecture theatres. On the day I was given control of the NZ Race Relations Twitter page to update throughout the forum with photos, quotes from speakers and information from various talks. I sat right in the front row along with two other UC media students which was  a prime position for capturing photos! Over the day many interesting issues were discussed including:  how employers can embrace diversity, what tools are provided by Immigration New Zealand to help new workers integrate into society, and employment challenges new migrants encounter. Once the forum had ended we were invited to attend an awards ceremony where I had the pleasure of meeting the Governor General, and even the Chancellor of the University, Dr John Wood.

For me this experience was incredibly valuable, as it is in my area of interest (media) and allowed me to make contacts within the industry. My advice for UC students would be to give everything a go as you’ll never know what great chances you could be missing if you don’t try. I highly recommend making the most of opportunities such as this while you attend UC as they are enriching experiences that provide you with great work experience for the future, and are valuable on your CV! Remember to check your emails regularly to see what pops up, and don’t feel shy to ask lecturers and department co-ordinators, as they have the inside knowledge.

If you would like to read more about this year’s Human Rights Commission Forum, or would like to keep a look out for next year’s date, then visit this website (this annual event is free) http://www.hrc.co.nz/race-relations/new-zealand-diversity-forum/