I really can’t believe how fast this year has gone… it’s almost Christmas. For me Christmas is a time for family, friends and food. So I’m going to share with you one of my favourite recipes for a delicious (somewhat healthy as it contains no butter or oil, and has reduced sugar) chocolate sponge cake.
Christmas is the time to indulge, and enjoy yourself, however we all know how difficult it can be to keep the kilos off over the holiday period. This cake is the perfect addition to Christmas dinner and will be sure to please your family; especially once you let them know they don’t need to be afraid to have more than one slice!
Olive oil cooking spray for greasing
Egg whites from 4 large eggs
Pinch of salt
2 large eggs (whole)
1 tsp vanilla extract
75g caster sugar
2 apples, peeled, cored and grated (Braeburn apples work best)
100g self-raising flour
40g cocoa powder
For finishing the cake:
150g raspberries (strawberries or blueberries also work)
75g icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 170 °C
2. Use cooking spray to grease 20cm/8inch non-stick cake tin.
3. Beat egg whites with the pinch of salt until stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed.
4. In another bowl whisk together the 2 whole eggs, vanilla extract, and caster sugar until the mixture has doubled in volume, is a pale colour and the sugar has dissolved.
4. Fold in the grated apple, flour and cocoa powder, and then fold in 1/3 of the egg white mixture. Once this is combined well, fold this into the remaining egg white mixture.
5. Spoon mixture into cake tin and bake for 30 mins. The sponge should bounce back when pressed lightly if it is cooked. Move it to a wire rack and leave it to cool.
6. Once the cake is cool, cut it in half horizontally to create two separate layers. Mix 2/3 of the raspberries and one tsp of the icing sugar and spread this mixture over the top of one of the pieces of cake. Then place the other half of the cake on top.
7. Mix together the remaining icing sugar and enough water to create a thin icing. Drizzle this over the top of the cake, and add the remaining raspberries.
Delicious! Enjoy this cake, but don’t forget to eat healthy this summer and continue to exercise… after all you don’t want to put on the dreaded ‘fresher 15’!