Top Events of UCSA Orientation 2015

UCSA orientation events 2015.
UCSA orientation events 2015.

Here’s the lowdown on UCSA Orientation events for all of you freshers and anyone else who missed the memo…

UCSA Orientation is pretty much a two week long party/summer blow out that starts on the 16th of Feb and goes through till the 1st of March. The best thing about these events for me as a first year was the amount of new people I met! There’s something for everyone, so I’ve made a list of my top 6  events to give you some ideas:

1. Colour My Toga– The iconic toga party is a must do for first years.  Once you’ve worn a sheet in the middle of Ilam Fields you’ll feel like you’re right in the midst of your uni experience! This year the theme is to wear a toga in the colour of your university department. So head to your nearest Fabric Vision or ask your granny for some old sheets and you’ll be good to go! Remember extra safety pins are vital… you’ll thank me later.
  2. Under the Big Top– If you want to watch some side splitting comedy then this event is for you! The UCSA comedy shows I’ve been to have always been a great laugh, mainly due to the hilarious comedian and audience interaction (as you can always rely on uni students to put their foot in their mouth). This year the show will be hosted by Paul Ego from 7 Days, which sets you up for a night of hilarity!
  3. Ori Market– To chill out during the week take a wander through the Orientation Market. The stalls usually include a mix of student-type things such as banking and flatting, food, clubs, and free stuff. Seriously, I went as a first year and I filled a whole bag up with free stuff. I scored enough free pens to last me the whole year, and enough energy drinks to stop my heart! Check it out if anything I’ve mentioned has enticed you…
  4. Mardi Gras– I’m just going to go out on a limb and say that I think this might possibly be the greatest Orientation event that the UCSA has ever created. This year will be its second appearance on the line-up and I can’t wait. Last year there were lights, beads, costumes, great music and even fire. It has to be seen to be believed. Ooh so mysterious…learn a new party trick before you go so that you can impress people for beads!
  5. Clubs Day– This is a standard orientation event which you won’t want miss. At clubs day you can sign up to a variety of different university clubs including: social clubs, sporting clubs, art clubs and volunteer clubs. Through the clubs at university you can explore your interests, learn new skills, meet people and have a more fulfilling university experience overall.
  6. Summerstein– This is the last major event of UCSA’s Orientation. It’s a chance to unwind and spend a day relaxing in the sun with your friends.  Last year some of The Edge DJ’s, including Guy Williams, even turned up to enjoy the day. This year the UCSA has promised water cannons and a giant slip n slide, so I honestly can’t wait!  Also look out for beach volleyball, backyard cricket and cocktails.

There’s also a bunch of official University of Canterbury Orientation activities that are exclusive to new students. Keep your eyes peeled for more Insider’s Guide Knowledge on Orientation…