How to: sort out a Mardi Gras outfit!

Hey guys! As Mardi Gras is nearly upon us (Tuesday 24th) you need to find a costume…and as I know none of you will have organised this yet, typical, I’m here to help.  

Step 1: Raid your own closet for anything crazy coloured; preferably purple, green or gold (yellow works too) if you’re going for the traditional mardi gras look.

Step 2: Raid your flatmate’s/sibling’s/mum’s closet. Sharing is caring.

Step 3:  Channel your inner Macklemore and go thrifting! Secondhand clothing is always a winner as you can score some great pieces which cost less than a dime! Personally I really like Savemart and there are three of these massive clothing warehouses to explore in Christchurch.

Step 4: Find some funky accessories! Adding accessories to your mardi gras costume can really transform it into the crazy festival look you want. Feathers, masks, glitter, face paint, fascinators, flowers, and headbands are all good additions! You can find things like this for very cheap in some of the dollar stores in the mall.

Step 5: Don’t wear silly shoes. By this I mean don’t wear jandals as, from experience, I now know just how easy it is to lose these while dancing and end up with no shoes…and for girls, don’t wear heels! They are incredibly impractical for events such as Mardi Gras on Ilam Fields. Just don’t do it.

Step 6: Whatever outfit you come up with, just roll with it! It may be the most eclectic, rag-tag costume that you’ve ever seen, but that’s what the festival of mardi gras is all about. Express yourself!