At UC we’re really lucky to have such great services available at our Health Centre, which is located right on campus – I certainly took full advantage of the services when I was a student.
With winter fast approaching (seriously, how did summer end so abruptly?!) I decided to talk to some of the staff at the Health Centre to share their top tips for staying healthy and taking advantage of their services, especially with exams coming up. They suggest:
- Seeking health advice before it’s too late if you’re feeling under the weather
- Balance yourself – burning the candle at both ends and living off caffeine isn’t good for you
- Eat a nutritious and well balanced diet as best you can
- Check that your vaccinations are up to date – measles is a current issue, and the flu vaccine is available from April
- Consider seeking advice if you are feeling very anxious or stressed – the Health Centre offers clinics that teach relaxation and coping techniques so you can look after yourself
- See a nurse for things like travel vaccinations and advice, blood pressure checks, diabetes care, asthma care, sexual health, diet and lifestyle advice, smoking cessation, and accident treatments such as dressing changes or burn treatments
If you haven’t already, you really should enrol at the Health Centre. If you’re a domestic student, GP services are free in most cases. There’s nothing worse than getting sick when you’ve got assessments due, so take care of yourself by being proactive about your health!