As this is the last week of term there isn’t too many events on the calendar…however have a look at what is on and enjoy your break!
- Last day of lectures!
- UCOM Easter BBQ: Ilam fields, 3-5.30. Members= gold coin donation. Non members= $10.
- Good Friday- It’s the end of term, so eat some chocolate.. you know you deserve it!
Last week in the Insider’s Guide weekly digest we asked you to send in your tips for remaining stress-free during assignments and exams. Below is a snapshot of what we were sent in!
- One way of staying stress free in assignment times is by not leaving every thing to the last minute!
- Set your phone alarm to 25 min timer, then do your readings, essay etc and when the alarm goes off give yourself a strict five minute break (Facebook, Snapchat, coffee etc)
- For productive study and assignment work – drink lots of water so you keep hydrated
- Don’t study on or in your bed. That way your body and mind has no connections to study in that area and when it comes to bedtime you can be relaxed and able to sleep
- Save multiple copies of your assignment on different databases such as iCloud or Dropbox! So you can get access to it on any device where-ever you have wifi handy
- Get into a good sleeping pattern, lack of sleep causes many problems including the increase of stress.
- Decrease (or eliminate) the use of stimulants such as coffee. This can increase the stress response in the body.
- Go for a walk or meet up with friends for an hour break and then get straight back to it! You’ll be more productive after feeling like you’ve socialised or gotten fresh air
- Check your exam timetables early – know where to go and what time
- Break your assignment into pieces and do a little bit every day!
- Take regular breaks and exercise regularly in between study to refresh the mind and keep blood flowing to the brain to increase thought processes – it’ll make you feel better and decrease stress.
- Make a study plan. If you include non-study stuff like gym classes or movie nights you don’t have to feel guilty about not studying!
If you have any more tips leave us a comment below!
How come Australia is odds on to win the Cricket World Cup final at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) on Sunday?
New Zealand beat Australia when they met earlier in the tournament and Australian commentators are saying the Black Caps will be overawed by the occasion. It’s just par for the course and what we’ve come to expect with the sometimes friendly trans-Tasman rivalry.
Former Australia batsman Matthew Hayden says the MCG is too big for New Zealand which has won all eight of its games in the tournament to date. Hayden says the Blacks have been winning because of home zone comfort and in small stadiums.
The word from inside the Black Caps camp is that they are just loving these Kiwi-bashing comments which serve to make them more determined for the final. Hayden says Eden Park is so small that it should not be a cricket ground. Great stuff. That’s on a par with one Sydney journalist who wrote one year that Sir Edmund Hillary was an Australian.
Some years ago New Zealand beat Australia on Australia Day in Adelaide, bowling them out for just 74. The Aussie captain on the day brushed off the result saying, “mate, even though you beat us, we’re still the best”.
Take out Steve Smith, one of the top three batsmen in the world on current form, and fast bowler Mitchell Starc, the Australians have been largely unimpressive in the World Cup. They battled in their quarter-final at Adelaide to chase down a poor score by Pakistan. Shane Watson was cowering and intimidated by pace bowler Wahad Riaz.
New Zealand will not be thinking about Australia in the final. They will be focused on their game. They have beaten all countries before in this tournament because they have performed better.
Either way the game will set a record for one of the biggest crowds ever to watch cricket at the MCG. The record of 91,112 was set against England two years ago. A big crowd attended a mass when Pope John Paul II appeared there in 1986. Australians will be praying they won’t lose to New Zealand on Sunday. They could not cope.
Go the Black Caps!