21 Day International Challenge – Week 4 Michael

Michael MMichael McRae  from Team 6

Twas a fun journey

21 days doesn’t seem like a long time. And on the face of the competition, working with five completely random people was a bit unsettling at first. But the three weeks turned out to be one heck of a ride!

I spent more time with the 5 people in 21 days than I did with my friends. I spent more money on coffee than I did on takeaways. I put more work into this business proposal than any other class work this term. And would I take any of it back? No sir.

Our journey finished on Monday. All six teams presented in front of six judges in a 15 minute pitch to get their ideas across. Three were selected to present tonight – we, unfortunately, were not one of them. Although we thought we nailed both our business proposal and our pitch, we didn’t quite cut the mustard.

Rocking up on Monday to hear the other teams, I wasn’t sure what to expect, but there was an insanely high standard! When you think about it: five academics, competitive environment, different skills – it’s a recipe for a creative cauldron of concepts and ideas. And there were incredibly diverse solutions, which surprised me given the $5,000 budget.

But as the competition comes to a close tonight, it has been a good time to reflect on the challenge. Before this month I had never put together a business proposal – and I sure didn’t think I would be doing one for a Filipino village anytime soon. But it’s a challenge I put to everyone.. if this competition comes up again, dive head. Go head first and embrace another culture. It’s a crazy but rewarding three weeks!

McRae over and out