Old-fashioned is the new fashion

As a 21 year old I personally turn my nose up at a watery hot mug of instant coffee. I seriously could not think of anything worse to start my morning with at 7.30am.

I am a self-confessed coffee snob. There’s just something about the smooth caramel coloured crema that’s squeezed out of freshly tamped coffee grounds.

This is old-fashioned though. Coffee is a seriously dated phenomenon. After seeds from a fruit that grew in the Yemeni desert were first roasted and found to have incredible “wake up” properties, coffee soon became the buzz word in 15th century Mecca.

The time-consuming act of brewing a coffee was kicked to the curb in the twentieth century when people could not get enough of the instant coffee craze. It was just so, well, instant!

Instant coffee may be the latest technology but the old-fashioned way of creating the stuff that makes me human is the best.

***

As a person who regularly cuts shapes on sweaty nightclub dance floors, I much prefer putting a vinyl record on with my dad and having a boogie to the booming tunes.

It amazes me how many tweeny teens comb through hundreds of faded record covers in music and second-hand stores.

Who cares about instantly available digital or streaming music when you could be getting up every few tracks to flip over a record, right?

Just as mum and dad thought they would never catch up with what is “hip”, they have suddenly become the expert.

***

As a yo-pro trying to impress in the professional workplace, I very rarely buy brand new clothes.

Op-shops are my absolute go-to. According to my flatmate last year, my wardrobe could practically trade as an op-shop on its own.

When you can find an over-sized blazer from the 80s, a killer pair of tan loafers, and a slick pencil skirt, who needs $200 miniskirts from overpriced brands anyway?

Today’s clothing fashions are really just a mish-mash of old fashions disguised by the price tag that says they are new.

I choose $2 clothing outlets every time.

***

So if you want to be fashionable, just listen to, drink, wear, and do stuff that is currently unfashionable. You will be a notable trendsetter in the time it takes to flick off a light switch and spend an evening in candle light.