Central Otago is made up of four regions: Cromwell, Alexandra, Roxburgh and Ranfurly. These are great locations for a weekend getaway!
All you need is a few days in each region, especially Cromwell, where a simple 2-3 day itinerary makes for a great weekend.
Day 1 – Cromwell Central
- Walk up to lake Dunstan and take in it’s views ( free)
- Go wine tasting in one of the many central vineyards (paid activity)
- Take an orchard tour, buy some fresh fruit and fresh fruit ice cream (paid activity)
- The Mall – take a walk through Cromwell’s only mall (free)
- Cromwell Museum – end your time at the mall by entering the museum (free)
- Don’t forget to take a picture against the giant fruit sculpture before you head home
Day 2 – Outside Cromwell Central
Hire a bike for day 2 and get going.
- Old Cromwell Town – walk back in time and take a look at life during the Gold Rush (free)
- Highland Motorsports Park and Museum* – a multi million dollar nitiative exclusively in Cromwell (varied entry)
- Kawarau Gorge* – pack a lunch and enjoy it by the gorge (free)
- Goldfields Mining Center* – go gold panning and keep what you find (student price applies)
(*locations 2-4 are on the state highway, make sure to be extra cautious when biking on the highway)
Day 3 – Outside Cromwell (if needed)
1. Bike along the Roxburgh River Trail and make a day out of it or
2. Bike for an hour to Alexandra and soak in all that it has to offer or
3. Stay close to Cromwell and explore the gold mine ruins of Bannockburn, Lowburn orTarras.