Learning through language immersion

Ko ngā reo wānanga

Ngā Mihi Whānau,

Learning a second language can be very challenging, but through the tough times come plenty of rewards! For me (Nate), it was having the ability to be able to stand on my marae and kōrero (speak) the language of my tīpuna (ancestors), te reo Māori.

One of the strategies that we find most beneficial is attending wānanga reo, or noho marae (language immersion programmes). During these hui (gatherings), you learn a new language, waiata, and tikanga (customs/values), but the most important feature of a wānanga reo/noho marae is that you are required to speak only te reo Māori from beginning to end. Collaborative environments like this are where the majority of language learning occurs!

Various institutions run wānanga reo; and for anyone that is interested in these types of hui, I would highly recommend that you find out exactly where and when they take place.

One amazing opportunity is the Kura Reo that takes place in the South Island once a year. To find out more about this, visit the Ngāi Tahu website.

Nei rā te mihi ki a koutou katoa!

Nā Teariki rāua ko Nate

– By Teariki Tuiono and Nathan Riki