How to raise a concern or make a complaint at UC

It is important to the University to provide a teaching and learning environment that you are comfortable in.

If something does go wrong, doesn’t feel right to you, or you’re not happy with a decision, you can raise your concern or make a formal complaint.

Concerns and complaints: a step-by-step guide for students

Step 1: Raise the concern with the person involved

If you feel comfortable doing so, try to talk to the person whose actions have caused you concern as a starting point. You could also get in touch with the Dean, Head of Department/School, Service Unit Manager or your Class Representative.

Step 2: Talk to the UCSA or UC Grievance Coordinator

Raise your concern or complaint with one of the contacts below. They will assess the issues raised and support you to work towards an informal resolution as a first step, where possible.

UCSA Advocacy and Welfare team

Phone: 03 364 2652


UC Grievance Coordinator

Phone: 03 364 2987 ext. 4210

Step 3: Make a formal complaint

The next step is to lodge a formal complaint, in writing, with the UC Grievance Coordinator.

Step 4: Investigation

The UC Grievance Coordinator will provide advice and coordinate communication between you and the person involved. They will decide who in the University is best suited to investigate and will communicate with you throughout the formal process.

Step 5: Outcome

The University will inform you of the steps taken to investigate or review the matters that you raised. You will be informed of the decision and how/why it was decided. Any further ways you can appeal will be communicated to you.

More information

Visit for more information about the process, your rights and the support available.

Additional support for students

If you need to talk someone about anything, there are plenty of people who can help at UC.

Have a voice! Tell us what you're thinking...