Rhodes Scholarship transformative

Andrew Dean received a Rhodes Scholarship in November 2011, after completing a B. A. (Hons) in English at the University of Canterbury. Read more about his transformative experience.

I began at Oxford in October 2012 and I read for a one year masters in 20th Century Literature; from 2013–2017 I read for a doctorate in English, focusing on post-1945 fiction.

The scholarship has been a transformative experience for me. My masters course opened my intellectual horizons. During the doctoral thesis, I have been supervised and examined by a number of remarkable scholars. It has been with the support of the scholarship, too, that I’ve had the time and funding to write in a more public way about literature and politics.

Rhodes Scholars have many different experiences coming into their time at Oxford, and take many different paths through their time there. It is unusual in that it offers support to undertake almost any course, from a second BA to a doctoral thesis. Rhodes House itself endeavours to create a community of scholars from all over the world. I couldn’t have asked for a more stimulating environment in which to study and work.

Interested in applying? The closing date for applications is 1 August so start thinking and preparing now. Click here for more information.

DEAN,Andrew_Rhodes Scholar- photo_ copyright Andrew Dean web res

Andrew in front of the Radcliffe Camera (a library) in Oxford.

Background to Rhodes Scholarships

• Rhodes’ 1903 Will outlined four criteria to be used in the election of Scholars:
  • “literary and scholastic attainments;
  • the energy to use one’s talents to the full;
  • truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship; and
  • moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings.”
  • Up to three graduates are selected from New Zealand each year. To be eligible they must be either residents or citizens, have spent at least five of the previous ten years in New Zealand, and aged between 19 and of 25. Read more about eligibility here.
  • Globally a total of up to 95 scholars are selected from Australia, Bermuda, Canada, China, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Jamaica & the Commonwealth Caribbean, Kenya, Malaysia, Pakistan, Southern Africa (including South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Swaziland)SJLP (including Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine), United Arab Emirates, United States, West Africa(from 2018), Zambia and Zimbabwe as well as New Zealand.
  • In New Zealand, the Scholarships are supported in partnership with the Robertson Foundation. Internationally the Rhodes Trust provides the Rhodes Scholarships in partnership with the Second Century Founder, John McCall MacBain and other benefactors