ICT Careers Fair – 1 August

ICT Careers Fair
Tuesday 1 August, 4pm – 6pm
Undercroft, Puaka-James Hight building

Attending the ICT careers fair is a great way of learning about the types of jobs that are available in New Zealand. It allows you to chat with representatives from heaps of different companies, and can help you figure out what you want to do in the long run. There’s a surprisingly wide variety of ICT companies in New Zealand at the moment, and I remember talking with Fisher & Paykel and Orion Health really piqued my interest in medical software. Make the most of your networking opportunities and talk to people who work in the fields you’re interested in, they’ll be able to tell you what it’s like and the skills they are looking for in graduates. Whilst many companies are looking for graduate students, there are also plenty offering internships. These are a  great way to get real world experience during university summers, and beat working a minimum wage job! If you’re an engineering student like me, summer internships fill out your practical work requirements, but I’d recommend them for any student as the experience is invaluable.

witsoc

Written by Elora, secretary of WiTSoc (Women in Technology Society).