Learn New Zealand Sign Language at UC

Learn one of New Zealand’s official languages – New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL). This introductory course covers finger-spelling alphabet and basic phrases, numbers, some university specific vocabulary and basic grammar. No previous NZSL experience is required and the course is open to students and staff.

Term 2 classes will be held each Thursday from 12.00pm – 12.50pm in the Puaka-James Hight building. 

The dates are 26 April, 3 May, 10 May, 17 May, 24 May and 31 May.  Handouts are provided, there is no structured homework, though practicing signs between classes is encouraged to enhance your learning. 

Register now by emailing me, Nicola McDonald (nicola.mcdonald@canterbury.ac.nz). Following this I will send you a payment form (the cost is $60).

Read what previous attendees have to say;

My speech and hearing is something I take for granted every day and learning sign language gave me a greater appreciation for the abilities that I have, as well as allowing me to communicate with the deaf community. I definitely intend on continuing to learn sign language, to extend my conversational skills and to continue learning about deaf culture.

Sign language is a transferable skill across study, work and our day to day lives. I encourage you all to consider taking this course next time it is offered, you will learn how to sign common phrases, ask questions and master basic conversations.

During term three, I was fortunate enough to learn sign language through a course offered by the University. I signed up to this course because I think as an official New Zealand language it is something we should all know the basics in. 

Nicola McDonald
Disability Resource Advisor
nicola.mcdonald@canterbury.ac.nz