My six weeks of university in China

Three months ago I was sitting outside Tiananmen Square at midnight, bonding with a chain-smoking military guard over the song Africa by Toto, and I wondered – how did I get here?

While this realm of existentialism is probably best left to Jaden Smith, (and the puns left to actually funny human beings), the specific case of ending up in China was a result of the absolutely primo opportunity offered by UC to take part in a six-week summer programme at Peking University, Beijing. I was lucky enough to be (definitely by accident) selected for this.

Aside from living in a totally different world, the opportunities on this programme are endless. We (attempted) to learn Mandarin, were taken to many traditional ceremonies, got involved with the expat community, worked on research for Chinese/New Zealand immigration, spent 3 days in Guangzhou meeting students, and heard some of the most phenomenally weird and wonderful stories of China’s history in daily classes at Peking. Additionally, I got to risk my life every morning; one commutes to campus by bike.

It’s a phenomenal place where social and technological evolution is accelerating at a ridiculous rate, and I would highly recommend anyone to apply for this fantastic opportunity. If I can make the cut, frankly anyone can. In the famous words of Chinese philosopher Shia LaBoeuf; “Just DO IT.”

Tim Marshall

Find more information about the six-week summer programme to Peking University here>
Applications close Tuesday 31 July 2018