Thinking of making an internship part of your degree?

In April I was given one of the most valuable opportunities of my degree, an internship with UC’s International Relationship’s Office. For the past few months, I’ve been working with them as part of my Media and Communications degree to help create content for a student-built app, which acts as a guide for international students looking for things to do in and around Christchurch.

Being a UC student I’ve had access to many great sources of learning, from the amazing academics who teach here, the extensive collection in the library, and a wide range of guest speakers and lecturers. However, internships offer you something you can’t get from a lecture. As well as looking great on your CV, it’ll give you hands-on, practical experience and an insider knowledge of what it’s like working in your industry.

If you’re considering doing an internship, I can assure you it’ll be one of the most unique learning experiences you have during your study. Responsibilities and deadlines take on a new importance in this environment. If you mooch off on an essay or miss an exam, the only person you’re letting down is yourself. Working as an intern means your efforts are going towards more than just your GPA. You’re part of a team working toward a bigger goal. This makes the efforts you put in extra rewarding, as well as giving you a taste of how you’ll likely be working after you graduate. One of my favourite parts of this work is looking back and seeing how far the app has come from when we started in April, I love being able to see our hard work develop into something practical.

If you want to make an internship part of your degree, get in touch with the team at UC Careers or the PACE office. They can help find you a role which fits with where you want to go in the future.

Frankie Desmond