Thesis-in-three champ shares joys and challenges of competition

How do you distill the complexities of your postgraduate research into one slide in just three minutes, and in a way that will interest strangers?

It’s s not for the fainthearted  –  but that’s what the three winners of UC’s Thesis-in-Three finals did this week.

Congratulations to:

• Best Doctoral student presentation – Samantha Bodman (Physical and Chemical Sciences)
  • Best Masters student presentation – Chris Boniface (Law)
  • Third place winner – Kseniia Zahrai (Management, Marketing & Entrepreneurship)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Chris Boniface gives us the low-down on the competition  and responds to our challenge: describe your research in one paragraph, 30 words.

The Effects of Artificial Intelligence on the New Zealand Healthcare System  – Chris Boniface

Why did you enter Chris?  – As a whole, I’m not a fan of, or at all experienced in public speaking or presenting but I want to pursue postgrad to its limits, including seminars, conferences, publications and more to get the career I want. Thesis in Three offered the opportunity to practice those skills in a fun, competitive environment. 

What proved challenging? – Trying to fit my research into only three minutes, in a clear and succinct way. My speech only really covered one of four major aspects of my research, because if I tried to include everything it would be a rushed mess, and I had to make sure a part was engaging and interesting, but still concise! 

One paragraph, 30 words. Can you do it? –  When you’re in a vulnerable healthcare situation, knowing things are ready to help you when they go wrong is vital – the robots are coming, we need to be prepared!
[UC Comms Team 2 Chris : Boom! 30 words exactly. And you did it quickly. #ElevatorPitch #ucnow] 

Photo:  Chris is congratulated by Deputy Vice-Chancellor | Tumu Tuarua Ian Wright.