Three minutes, one slide, no jargon!

Samantha Bodman (Physical and Chemical Sciences) was stunned when she won the  Best Doctoral student presentation for Thesis-in-Three this week.  As well as receiving prize money she will represent UC at the Asia-Pacific Competition in Brisbane.

Thesis-in-three is an opportunity for Doctoral and Masters thesis students to present their research in three minutes using a single PowerPoint slide. No pressure!

We asked her to share about the competition and her presentation ‘Building the Block by Block’.

What was it about Thesis in Three that encouraged you to enter?
I was encourage to let people know about the ground breaking Chemistry research that is going on in the School of Physical and
Chemical Sciences. Plus letting the public know that new, more efficient solar cells are coming their way. The prize money was a bonus. 

What was the best and/or most challenging aspect/s of Thesis in Three?
The most challenging part was explaining the complex aspects of what I do in a short amount of time to the public. I am so used to using scientific jargon day to day, explaining it without it, is a challenge.

I really enjoyed listening to other thesis students’ research in other
colleges. The competition was so tough and everyone did
so well. I was so stunned that I won!

A small challenge from UC Comms. What would you say to an everyday person if they asked you why your research was important in the ‘real world’….in 30 words or less?

My research involves making molecules that have the ability to double the energy produced from one photon (unit) of light. These molecules can make solar panels more efficient.