Meet Katie Mills, 2019 Postgraduate Rep

Kia Ora! My name is Katie Mills and I am your Postgraduate representative on the UCSA for 2019.

2019 is looking like a very exciting year for Canterbury students. A major theme of this years UCSA elections was the new UCSA building that’s set to open next year.

The new building is going to open up a lot of new space for students. With new space, comes new opportunities.

Student buildings should be the hub of student culture. Canterbury’s student culture is so diverse and I want to make sure we’re really sensitive in capturing this.

I think the key to this is making sure the space remains dynamic. The building has to retain a certain degree of flexibility to ensure it stays relevant and sensitive to students needs.

The new UCSA building presents an opportunity to create an environment that fulfils the needs of many groups who have been missing out on a space that feels like their own.

This includes postgraduate students and international students. I’m looking forward to working closely with these groups on this project next year and I’m so excited and fortunate to be a part of activating such an amazing space for everyone!