Getting ready for life in a hall of residence? It’s natural to feel nervous, apprehensive and excited all at the same time when you first arrive at your hall of residence (hall). You’ll find it easier to settle in when you realise you are not alone and meet others with similar interests to yourself. Make an effort to start up a conversation with someone – it could lead to a lifelong friendship.
Here are some suggestions which will help you prepare for your arrival, and for settling into your new home.
Before you arrive
- Plan to arrive on your contract start date. Let your hall know when you are arriving, particularly if you are arriving before or after your contract start date.
- Check the information provided by your hall on what you need to bring with you and let them know if you are bringing any large items such as a bike or surfboard. Car parking should also be booked before you arrive, if required. Car parking in halls is limited, so get in early.
- Your Residential Assistant or Tutor may/will contact you prior to arrival. Jot down any questions you want to ask before you arrive.
- Join your hall Facebook group. You can learn a lot about other students who will be in your hall before you even arrive.
When you arrive
- Your hall will have activities and events planned for when you first arrive. Look out for communication from your hall and plan to attend as many as you can – get involved.
- Join the UCSA Facebook Group to find out what is happening during Orientation Week.
- Make sure you know your 8-digit student ID number. This will come in handy when you arrive in your hall and at UC.