Homestead Lane – bus route change

New student accommodation coming
Next year UC will start on a construction project on Homestead Lane to build a new student residential hall, which is due to open in 2021. The new 500-bed hall of residence will be opposite Ilam Apartments and groundworks are due to start in early 2019.

Homestead Lane is a narrow private road on UC property and traffic restrictions, including closures, will be in place during the project. Over the next 3-4 years, work will also be undertaken on Homestead Lane to enhance the pedestrian experience and improve safety. Some of this work will be carried out while the new hall of residence is under construction.

Keep an eye out on the blog for updates about the new hall of residence throughout 2019.

Orbiter bus route change – January 2019
ECan have advised that from Monday 7 January 2019, the Orbiter bus route will change. It will continue from Greers Road, along Waimairi Road to the Bush Inn Centre. It will not include Homestead Lane and Ilam Road. Additional stops will be added on Waimairi and Greers roads.

UC staff and students who wish to catch the Orbiter will need to walk down Homestead Lane or across llam Fields to/from Waimairi Road, or along llam or Clyde Road to/from Riccarton Road.

The Purple line and route 100 will still use llam Road, and these routes connect with Orbiter. Other unaffected bus routes servicing UC are the 120 and 130.

If you have questions about the Orbiter, please direct them to Ecan.

2 thoughts on “Homestead Lane – bus route change”

1. Hi, I am not sure who had the idea to cancel or respectively direct the Orbiter now outside the university? I use the bus and the extreme long walking time to the main campus with the new bus route is very inconvenient. I use now the 120 but this takes me almost 45 – 60 minutes in each direction (morning to the university and evening to Spreydon) – this is door to door time (with lots of traffic it can be even longer). With the Orbiter it was 30 – 35 minutes. Time is money in our days and there is lots of lost time. In the evenings the buses have no light inside so I cannot even read something to use the long time more useful. Cycling to University is no option for me because the way to the university is a suicide commando to be honest (crossing over Blenheim Road into Matipo Rd. and then Riccarton Road itself.
    Can someone explain it to me why the Orbiter route was changed?
    Thanks
    my email: Ursula.rack@canterbury.ac.nz