Kevin Fernando: UCSA International Rep 2019

Kia ora and welcome to UC!

I’m Kevin and I’m the International Representative at the UCSA (University of Canterbury Students’ Association) and we are thrilled to welcome you to UC!

As an international student myself, that only stepped foot in New Zealand in the first quarter of 2017, I would have never imagined that I would be voted on as the 2019 UCSA International Representative or being on the executive of multiple clubs on campus. International student issues really resonate with me as I, too, have faced issues such as integrating with UC and New Zealand culture in my first few months at uni.

However, I can proudly say that UC is an incredibly welcoming institution and there is a place for everyone. The number of opportunities in the form of UCSA events, weekly societies’ events and others really contribute to give you the platform to make your University experience one to remember; they certainly made mine memorable so far!

Possibly the most anticipated event of 2019 will be the launch of the new UCSA building. I am most looking forward to seeing our student body engaging with the building and witnessing all the new and improved events unfold! The new Foundry bar, Bentley’s, and the 1000-person capacity auditorium?! Music to my ears.

My one tip for you all would be to make the most out of the opportunities that are present during your Uni life, you will certainly not regret it. Wishing all of you the best for the year ahead!

Kevin Fernando

UCSA International Rep
international@ucsa.org.nz
ucsa.org.nz