Take a peek into Peking University

Applications are now open for UC’s 2019 ‘Explore Beijing’ programme.

Organised in collaboration with Peking University, this five-week will see 10 UC students exploring Beijing while studying at one of China’s most prestigious universities.

Hear all about it from someone who experienced it first-hand, BSc/BA student, Alysha Voon.

I spent six incredible weeks in China as part of the Explore Beijing Summer programme. Looking back, I cannot believe the amount of excitement and happiness I felt, as well as the knowledge and friendships I have gained from this overseas experience.

Peking University is regarded as China’s top university, and every day we were amazed at what it has to offer – a huge range of canteens (craving burgers and chips? ‘Hollywood Canteen’ has you covered!), grocery stores, a laundromat and unbelievable scenery.

We attended classes where we gained valuable insight and got a first-hand taste of China’s unique culture through language lessons, calligraphy and tai chi.  Outside of campus, we visited some of China’s most famous, breath taking history such as the great wall, forbidden- city and the Olympic stadium, tested our taste buds in a street full of edible bugs and crazy creations, and travelled down south to Guangzhou for a few days and witnessed the diverse range in food, language and culture China has to offer.

Spending time in this unique environment offered me valuable experience with new and improved skills in a range of areas that will no doubt benefit me in the future. I cannot emphasis enough how amazing an opportunity it is and what a student programme like this has to offer – so if you’re thinking of applying, just do it!

Applications for this year’s programme, running from 15 November to Sunday 22 December, close on Sunday 21 July.

Want to know more? Check out the Information sessions!

When:

• 5pm Wednesday 22 May
  • 3pm Friday 7 June

Where:

• A9 Lecture theatre

Interested students can register to attend here>

Additional information can be found here, or by emailing partnerships@canterbury.ac.nz.

2 thoughts on “Take a peek into Peking University”

1. Yikes thanks Joseph, I’m so glad our peek story piqued your interest – I hope this is the peak of my errors for the day!