The central library is a high use area (love your hard work!). We have put in place additional measures to help minimise the risks in this space. Here’s an update:
- All touch points in the building are sanitised using a Germshield every day. Germshield is designed to last 90 days, however due to the high use we are applying it every day.
- Touch points include lift buttons inside and outside, door handles, door touch plates, water fountain touch buttons, toilet seat buttons, taps, soap dispensers, hand rails, heat and eat bench tops, microwaves and light switches (only wiping).
- All user surfaces i.e. desktop stations, table tops and reception counters are sanitised daily using a disinfectant.
- Hand sanitiser stations will be installed on the entrance early next week. Unfortunately the dispensers we have been placing around keep getting removed, so we need to mount them on the wall. We encourage students and staff to sanitise on entering & existing the library – thus limiting germ transfer on what is touched in the library and then cleaning your hands on departure.
- All toilets are cleaned and sanitised daily using a disinfectant.
- All hard floors are cleaned daily using a disinfectant.
- 2 full time cleaners are dedicated to the central library; servicing all the toilet areas during the day i.e. sanitising the toilets, topping up supplies and replacing roller towels regularly.
- We will be placing check cards in each toilet area with updates on last clean timings and when the next service is scheduled and also in case extra attention is required then who to contact.
- Rubbish bins are cleared each morning and as required during the day. Bin tops are sanitised in the mornings.
- All carpet areas are vacuumed using vacuums fitted with HEPA filters.
What about the rest of the University?
Daily cleaning is carried out across the campus in all buildings, using disinfectant, as per the general cleaning guidelines from the Ministry of Health. The Health Centre, also as a place of concern, has additional measures in place like the central library. Infact, the Medical Director called the cleaning work “fastidious”.
All touch points in high use areas are sanitised regularly using a hospital grade disinfectant. Additional day cleaning teams are scheduled to service all high use areas across the campus and regular checks are carried out in washroom areas, topping up supplies and roller towel replacements.
We are working with our suppliers/services providers to get hand sanitiser stations installed at all building entrances. We are also installing roller hand towels in washroom areas which only have hand driers available for drying hands. We are also awaiting delivery of fogging/misting machines that sanitise large areas and buildings more efficiently (such as lecture theatres).
We are also randomly testing 10 frequently used areas across campus to monitor the efficacy of the cleaning, and to identify risk areas for remedial decontamination.
Your health and safety is our priority. Right now we need to work together as a community, all playing our part to help protect everyone at UC. Our cleaning staff are a vital part of this and we thank them for their care and diligence. UC is making sure they are keeping safe too, with additional protective equipment provided.
Importantly, if you are unwell, please stay home. Please email email@example.com with any questions or suggestions of areas that you believe might need attention.