Many of us spend a large amount of our working day deskbound. Therefore it is really important for our wellbeing that we take a break each day to be active. Physical exercise is really good for us and is a great way to boost our mood. There are many physical activities available, therefore when being active it is important that you choose an activity that you will enjoy. Check out the list below for some ideas:
- Bring activity into the everyday, e.g. use the stairs instead of the lift, walk to colleagues to talk with them instead of phoning, walk or bike to campus.
- Take a walk after dinner, or a longer one on the weekend. Invite friends and family to join you.
- Hold a family dance-off with different members picking the music.
- Organise or participate in walking tours of local places of interest in your community or suburb.
- Go to the UC Rec Centre for a workout.
- Join the UC Rec Centre’s Jumpstart Walking Challenge via the UC Rec Centre app.
- Try tai chi classes for strength, balance and mental wellbeing.
- Go for a bike ride with friends or family or by yourself.
- Take the dog for a walk.
- Mow the lawns.
Check out this clip from the All Right Campaign where Si and Gary talk about the importance of being active: