Welcome to Semester 2 – it’s great to have you back on campus

Kia ora koutou, and welcome to Semester 2.

This is an exciting week as for many of you this will be the first time on campus since the Covid-19 lockdown.  Also, it’s fitting that we reunite at the beginning of Matariki, a significant and important time, as people come together to reflect on the past year and look forward to the months ahead.

I would like to commend you for how you coped with the new way of learning during Semester 1. The UC community rose to the challenge, and I am pleased that almost all  our students are now able to return to lectures and learning on campus. We will continue to provide online support for those students who are currently overseas or are unable to return for valid reasons.

I’m sure you are keen to get the best possible start to Semester 2. The UCSA has planned an exciting reorientation week –  you can find out more about here. I recommend seeking out the UC Student Handbooks and the UCGO App, which are handy resources to help you plan your time and focus on your goals this semester.

To continue to keep yourself and our community safe, I encourage you to follow some simple guidelines: 

1. Stay home if you’re sick
  2. Focus on your hygiene:
  • Wash your hands
  • Sneeze and cough into your elbow
  • Avoid touching your face
  1. Keep track of where you’ve been by using QR codes/swiping your Canterbury Card on campus (Note – The QR codes around campus have been updated to the official NZ Ministry of Health NZ COVID Tracer app).
  2. Be kind to yourself and be kind to others.

Enjoy your reorientation and I look forward to seeing you on campus.

Ngā mihi,

Cheryl de la Rey
Tumu Whakarae | Vice-Chancellor