UC Student Blogger | Receiving an academic progress letter

After the release of your exam results, colleges will check the progress of all their students to see if they are on track. If you aren’t heading in the right direction, Academic Progress Reviews can provide help and support, and get you back on the road to success. Find out more about Academic Progress Reviews here

As part of this review, you may receive an academic progress letter. UC student blogger gives their personal experience of receiving an academic progress letter and how to make the most of the support available. 

“Getting an academic progress letter indicates that you haven’t performed well in the past semester, and this has come to the attention of the college you are enrolled in. Getting an academic progress letter is not an inherently bad thing, it is more of a check-in or preliminary warning. It just means that your college wants to make sure that you’re adapting well to UC and that you’re not missing out on any services that you’re entitled to. I myself received one after my first semester of studying, and since then my academic performance has improved significantly. Initially receiving an academic letter seemed intimidating, but I now view it as a positive intervention.

An academic progress letter is intended to be a kind of check-up note. Don’t continue on as though nothing has happened. Take what has happened into account and follow the instructions dictated in the letter. It is recommended that you go and meet with a student advisor at your college as soon as you can. Do this quickly so that you, alongside a student advisor, can make a game plan on what you’re doing next. Certain classes only occur once per academic year so it’s important to ensure you’re not going to spend longer at university than you need to. Your college and student advisors are on your side, but it’s up to you to take the first step and acknowledge that you may need a helping hand.

I had already planned to change degree prior to getting an academic letter. Therefore, I needed to go and see a student advisor in my new college to ensure that I had transferred credits correctly and was on track. I know several students who have made use of the academic services that UC offers to all students free of charge and they can’t recommend it enough. Take advantage of everything UC has to offer, university is tough enough there’s no need to make it harder than it needs to be.

The university has clear expectations for the number of hours you are expected to dedicate to each paper. For a standard 15-point paper you are expected to set aside 10 hours a week for studying. Therefore, for a standard course load you are supposed to dedicate 40 hours per week to studying. Many of us fail to dedicate this amount of time to our studies throughout the semester. Other times, there is just a lot going on in our lives which means university can take a back seat, leading to poor performance. An academic progress letter indicates that you need to improve your performance and should be taken seriously.

Getting an academic progress letter was very intimidating for me, but planning in advance and speaking with a student advisor meant that I remained on track to graduate without any extra time spent at uni. Take the first step and go and see someone at university. You won’t regret reaching out.”

Find out more about Academic Progress Reviews here