Our UC community is diverse and we want everyone to feel safe on and off campus and free from bullying & discrimination. Since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, there’s been an increase in online and verbal racism towards Asian New Zealanders. Much of this is in the form of jokes and memes which can be hurtful, offensive, and not actually funny. Making jokes might not seem like a big deal, but they can lead to increased hostility, bullying and even physical abuse.
We all have a responsibility to call out racist content and look out for each other, both online and when out and about. Covid-19 doesn’t discriminate, and neither should we.
- Be mindful that not everything you read online is true.
- Don’t share racist or xenophobic content
- If you see racist content online, or in person, report it.
- Address racist humour by explicitly pointing out that racist content isn’t funny or prompt them to self-reflect.
- Check in with the person on the receiving end to see if they’re ok