UCMe and ‘Believe U Can’ launched this week

A new ‘Believe U Can’ campaign and a refreshed version of the popular UCMe profiles launched nationwide this week, promoting UC by celebrating some of our star students (and staff in the UCWe).

UC students are inspiring, enterprising and courageous and the campaign aims to showcase the many faces of our student community.

Believe U Can weaves the story of UC and what differentiates us through each student’s personal journey. The campaign draws inspiration from you our students and brings to life the idea that belief in yourself and others can take you anywhere.

The narrator is Wairaamia Tikao Taratoa-Bannister (Ngāi Tahu, Waitaha, Ngāti Māmoe, Ngāi Te Rangi and Ngāti Raukawa) and the others featured in the video are your classmates and UCMe students.

As in previous years, the nationwide UCMe billboard, poster, bus stops and online campaign tells the stories of students who have taken everything UC has to offer and transformed it into their own unique experience. This year we have the biggest ever cohort – 31 students – and for the first time some are accompanied by siblings, academics and support staff who have contributed to their UC experience.

Charlie Ikosi, from Papua New Guinea, is one of the students featured in the Believe U Can and UCMe campaigns. He is the recipient of a New Zealand Manaaki Scholarship from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) and offered to take part to encourage other people to make a difference.

“I want to inspire people back home who have a dream of coming out into the world and getting a world-class education and taking it back home to help improve their communities.

“I feel very privileged to be here and I want to give back, by being an example. Reading about it and hearing about it is one thing but I wanted to put a face to it. When the campaign comes out I really want to share it with my friends so I can inspire them to be inquisitive about the environment and to think more widely than just what they see at home.”

Read Charlie’s inspiring story