We get it – the first term of Uni is sometimes a bit of a blur. Assignments roll in, parties pop up, new friends and coffee meets become the norm. So, did you manage to make exercise a part of your routine this year? Don’t worry if you haven’t yet, all is not lost! Now is the perfect time to get over this side of campus and see all that the UCRecCentre has to offer. Hint..it’s more than just a regular gym!
First of all – it’s FREE.
Well, sort of. A portion of your student levy goes toward funding the sport and recreation activity on campus, including your gym membership. Once you’ve signed up online, your card will be activated within 48 hrs, and presto! You now have a gym membership. Read on to find out what that gets you.
What can you do at the gym for free?
LOTS! Here’s a handy rule of thumb…if you can pick it up and use it without our help, if it’s not behind a locked door, then it’s probably free – go for it. If you need a staff member to assist you, then there is probably a small charge (and we work really hard to keep those prices down down down).
Definitely free all of the time
- Weights, cardio, boxing room, funzone, zenzone, womens gym and group fitness classes in the sportshall and gymnasium
- Sports equipment hire (balls, racquets, shuttlecocks and nets)
- The Rec & Sport app
- In-app self selected exercise programmes.
Free some of the time, but not all of the time
- Drop-in sport sessions – these are organised times to play team sports when you don’t have a team or someone to play with
- Casual court use (basketball, squash, badminton etc) before 3pm
- If after 3pm, or you want to book ahead anytime of the day, there will be a court hire fee ($8 per hour squash, $10 per hour badminton)
User fees apply, but you sometimes get a UC student discount AND it’s always better value than our competitors
- Exercise programmes/PT sessions with an instructor
- Body Composition Scans
- Zone classes (Spin & FIT50)
- Small group training (Boxing, Ballet etc)
- A running group
- Social sport leagues
- Sport Academy for budding athletes
- Advanced Fitness Testing with our sport scientists
Whoa! That’s a lot. We suggest just getting started!
- Get your student membership online
- Download the Rec & Sport app (these are two different things)
- Perhaps take a virtual tour, so you know what to expect
- Get down to the RecCentre and just give it a go! We’re confident you’ll eventually find something you like.
If you’re still a little unsure, how about registering for our Intro to exercise programme? The groups are small, the intensity is gentle, and it will help you get your toes in the water, so to speak!
Remember – a healthy body will support your wellbeing, your sleep patterns and your study success!
Te Ratonga Hākinakina | UC Rec & Sport