Put your skills into practice with a community project

We caught up with Andre Moneda to find out about his time in the PACE 225 course and what he learned as he worked with his group on their Corporate Social Responsibility project.

Kia ora Andre , thanks for chatting with us. You took PACE 225 in Semester 1, can you tell us a bit about this course and what it covered?

PACE225 is essentially an opportunity to develop your employability skills while increasing your awareness of the community through the idea of Corporate Social Responsibility. It is a chance to learn from a variety of professionals in their fields, from community engagement, project management, stakeholder analysis, to bicultural competency. You just get a bite of everything needed to succeed in a professional environment while helping a business be more community-minded in their work.

What would you say are the most important lessons you learned from taking the course?

The most important lessons I have learned from the course are finding ways to increase our bicultural awareness and the importance of consultation with different stakeholders. No matter what we do and where it comes from, understanding people and their needs should always be a key part of a project. PACE225 has taught has that all ways of thinking are unique and it’s important to take it into consideration. From the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi, to different worldviews of people in the community, having those connections changes the outcome of the project into something grander.

Can you tell us a bit about the guest speakers and the role they played in your learning?

We had an abundance of amazing guest speakers from different lecturers in their fields of research, business professionals like Sharesies and Brown Bread, to local community heroes. Each of the guest speakers always gave us something to think about, whether it related to our personal, professional, or academic lives. No two lecturers are ever the same, and they just made each class special and personal. You knew they were all passionate in what they were saying, and you can’t help to be just as passionate for your own project and goals as well.

We’d love to hear more about the skills you developed during PACE225 and how you think they will help you in the future?

The skills I developed over this course have been my communication skills and bicultural competency. I learned how to put all my ideas into a report in a concise and professional manner, while still having my own personal flair into it. Working with 3 amazing group members has taught me how to manage my time, manage a project, and learn to communicate with each other, and find out our strengths and weaknesses. My appreciation of bicultural and even multicultural competence has been enhanced so much, and know I always consider different worldviews in projects inside and outside of my studies.

These skills are so important now more than ever with employers looking for employees with these skills and PACE225 has already put me in on a good footing when I start getting into the job market. There are plenty of transferrable skills that PACE225 teaches us that no matter what role we get ourselves into, there is no doubt they will come in useful in the future.

What did you enjoy most about the course?

I just enjoyed meeting everyone. You learn so much from talking to people because they put themselves into every topic. This includes the lecturers, guest speakers, stakeholders, and even your classmates. Everyone just brought something new to the table. I really loved having the chance to come together and come up with a Corporate Social Responsibility proposal that benefits a business and the local community, and this is only available in this course. It has given me a window into what I can do with my passion of community engagement after I finish my studies.

Finally, would you recommend PACE 225 to other students and why?

Yes definitely! This course just gives you so much in so little time. I felt like I have taken almost every single subject offered at UC in just one class! There is undoubtedly going to be a topic of interest for everyone. No matter what your major is, PACE225 will help you become more employable for the future and equip you with the skills needed to thrive in any job within Aotearoa or overseas. I assure you that you will definitely get something out of it, probably the most of any course, and that’s a big statement.

If you’d like to add a PACE course to your studies in 2022 check out the details here.