When drinking alcohol it’s important to keep safe and look after yourself and others.
Check out the tips below:
- Keep track of how much alcohol you’re drinking. If you’re at a party, wait until your glass is empty before you refill – otherwise you’ll lose track of what you’ve drunk.
- Avoid mixing your drinks.
- Make them singles not doubles.
- Start later.
- Try a “spacer” instead of a “chaser”. Make every second drink a non-alcoholic one.
- Take smaller sips.
- Put your glass down between sips.
Look after yourself
- Always make sure to eat before and while you’re drinking
- Know your limit. Learn to refuse a drink.
- Take a break from drinking.
- Don’t drink and drive. Nominate a designated driver with a full licence who can drive you and your mates home and keep a sober eye on the party.
- Plan your night. Plan ahead, arrange a safe way home, a place to stay and let someone know where you are at all times.
- Look out for yourself and your mates.
- Never accept a drink from someone you don’t know.
Hosting a party?
If you are hosting a party register your party on Good One. Good One is all about helping you have a great party without things getting hairy. Check out their website for more information and tips on being a great host.
Check out Alcohol.org.nz for additional tips on being a great host.