On Saturday 4 March 2017, during UC Orientation Week, the Student Volunteer Army is heading to South New Brighton, Christchurch, to carry out a large-scale volunteering event called the SVA Big Give.
The SVA Big Give vision is to see 1,000 UC students, as well as community members and groups, event partners and sponsors, sports teams and politicians, including the Mayor of Christchurch.
The project location is Rocking Horse Road Spit in South New Brighton, a suburb that was badly hit by the earthquakes and which has dealt with other major blows in regards to insurance and sea level rise.
SVA Big Give volunteering will involve:
- restoration of the dunes
- repair of walking tracks on the spit and beach access-ways
- weed control
- removal of rubble from earthquake-damaged seawalls
- the creation of a new picnic table area.
The event will be a great opportunity for students to get stuck in, meet new people and make a real difference in the community. SVA will also provide all volunteers with a free BBQ lunch at a central hub set up in the reserve, with entertainment from a number of kiwi musicians.
This is the first time the SVA Big Give’has been run and it will be the largest mobilisation of volunteers since the initial earthquakes – we hope you will join us to be part of SVA history!
If you’d like to come along, register on Facebook or download the SVA app from the app store.
Downloading the app:
- Search ‘SVA’ on the app store
- Download the free SVA app
- Login with the same details you used to sign up to SVA at clubs day or create a new account
- View our upcoming events and join the Big Give event
- At the event, show us your QR code to scan in to get your volunteer hours credited (your verified hours can appear on your Co-curricular Record and if you are in a hall it will contribute hours to help your hall win the interhall volunteer shield).