The UCSA has been named a finalist in the Hospitality NZ Awards for ‘Best Environmental/Sustainable Business’. The category recognises venues with a commitment to sustainable performance, who are implementing new initiatives and bringing staff and customers along on the journey.
Over the years, the organisation has been on a path to reduce its environmental impact, from the construction of Haere-roa to its hospitality services that span corporate conferences to the Ka Ora, Ka Ako | Healthy School Lunches Programme.
In 2021, the UCSA diverted more than 35,000kg of waste from landfill to date, increasing the organisation’s average waste diverted from landfill to 74%. This is up from 39.6% in 2020!
Please support the UCSA by voting for them in the ‘People’s Choice Award’ category here>
Winners will be announced at the Hospitality Awards for Excellence in Auckland on 9 September 2021.
- The compost generated from the UCSA’s Edmonton Kitchen is utilised by local Canterbury farmers, replacing the need for synthetic fertilisers due to the high nutrient value of the compost. The carbon saving emission of this programme is approx. 5.28 tonne per month, or the equivalent of 13 cars being taken off the road.
- 5,782 native plants were planted around Haere-roa between late-2019 and early-2020 in collaboration with the Christchurch City Council’s waterways partnership. This has helped improve the ecological health, indigenous biodiversity and the amenity value of our local urban waterways.
- Haere-roa is heated by a ground-source heat pump.
- New outlets ‘Oishii’ sushi and ‘Otto’ pizza sell items by the piece. Oishii’s menu was designed as a ‘pick-your-own’ sushi bar to eliminate the need for plastic packaging, while ‘Otto’ uses only compostable packaging.
Come grab a free slice of pizza*, get yourself in the draw to win prizes*, and hear what your Students’ Association has been up to!
The Student Executive will be giving away 4 x $50 cash giveaways to a the lucky winners. Plus we’ll be holding an inter-hall competition. You don’t want to miss it.
Minutes of the previous Half-AGM (22 July 2020)
2021 President’s Half-Yearly progress report
New Zealand International Students’ Association (NZISA) proposed membership
If you’re interested in running in the UCSA’s 2021 Election
, stick around afterwards because we’ll be holding an information session for candidates from 1pm.
Half-AGM date: 12pm Wednesday 28 July 2021
Location: Undercroft 101
* Free pizza is available while stocks last. Competition T&Cs apply.
We’re looking for the next leaders of the UCSA!
Each year, UC students elect who they want as their student representatives on the UCSA Executive. Nominations for the 2021 Election open 28 July, and we’d love you to consider running.
If you’d like to know more about being a Student Executive, head along to our Candidate Information Sessions in July. You can also visit our website here.
There are so many reasons to have a go, including:
- Getting the chance to represent students: You would have a say on UCSA’s governance. UC also recognises the UCSA as the official student representative body on campus.
- Building your CV and receiving remuneration: See UCSA’s Executive Honorarium Policy for information about payments.
- Getting the most out of campus life: The UCSA runs a lot of the fun stuff, including events like O.Week.
- Making professional connections: Get to know people across UC and the community.
Nominations for the UCSA 2021 Elections open 28 July and close 12PM 5 August 2021. Voting will take place 18–20 August.