Interested in where the best places are on campus to satisfy your or grab the best food deal? One of our UC Student Bloggers shares their favourite top three spots:
I’ve tried and tested just about all the cafes on the UC campus, and Cafe 1894 (which you can find in the Undercroft) is my top choice. Their bagels are to die-for, and they also have the best gluten-free brownie on campus. No matter if they’re super busy or you get in before the rush, your drinks and food are always prepared super quick! The prices are also good because you can use your V-Plate discount.
It would be rude not to mention UC’s very own bar with delicious and fresh sushi. You can find Oishii in the Undercroft under the Central Library. They’ve got welcoming inside seating options if you don’t want to sit outside. You can also get your V-Plate discount here too, which makes it more affordable and all sushi gets slashed to half price after 3pm!
Therapy, which you can find in Rehua, is my favourite cafe on campus to meet up for a coffee catch-up as they’ve got excellent seating options – you can sit where there’s a lot of buzz or sit where it’s quite quiet. The staff are lovely and never ask you to move on even when you’ve spent an hour and a half sipping one coffee.
What you think? What’s your favourite spot on campus? Check out the full list of cafes here>
PS Don’t miss out on your V-Plate discount – download the UCGO app to get your barcode, or find out more here>
With Semester 2 coming round fast, the UCSA has lined up loads of events for Re-Ori 2021!
Make sure you check out the awesome live music events, with Grafix (UK), Flowidus, Poris, The Chats, Lee Mvtthews and loads more.
Also look out for the UCSA Boss Coffee Comedy Club on Friday 23 July. It’s guaranteed to tickle your funny bone. You can get your tickets here.
Have you seen some of UCSA’s free events?
- Postgrad Schmooze, Thursday 15 July, 5pm-8pm – a mixer for postgrads(limited spots, preregister required).
- Pepsi Max Presents Ngaio Movie Night, Sunday 18 July, 5.30-9.30pm – the UCSA will be showing two movies for you and your mates to enjoy
- Te Rourou a Haere (formerly Lunch on the Lawn), Monday 19 July, 11am-2pm – free BBQ at Haere-roa’s amphitheatre
- Te Whiringa, Monday 19 July, 6-10pm – a night of cultural festivities!
- Clubs Day, Tuesday 20 July, 10am to 2pm – great place to see what’s on offer at UC and get involved.
- Winter Wellness Expo, Thursday 22 July, 10am-2pm – learn about well-being and enjoy some free stuff.
Tips for Re-Ori
Here are some simple tips which will help you enjoy Te-Ori to the full:
- Make sure you stay hydrated while you’re out
- Look out for your mates
- Be aware of UCSA’s no pass-out rule with their live events
- Register with Good One when throwing a party to keep your mates safe and get help from police if you need to
Check out more information or tickets here and follow UCSA for more updates.
Catherine Sivertsen wants to get the world excited about language, and is encouraging parents and educators to give the gift of words. She’s studying a Master’s in Speech and Language Therapy here at UC, and she’s passionate about improving child language development. Find out more about Catherine and her research in the latest episode of the UC Science Radio Podcast here>