Drive to campus? You need to pay for parking.


I wish parking on campus was free, but that’s not the case. In order to park on campus, you need to pay for it. A Student Parking Permit is the hassle-free option to park in designated areas but there are other options.

A permit costs $264.50 for a year and $132.25 for a semester (including GST). You can buy your permit from the Security Office at 114 Ilam Road. There are various payment options including EFTPOS, cash and a cheque written to the University of Canterbury; no direct payments are accepted.

Yes, a parking permit is costly, but it saves you the trouble of getting to university earlier than required to find a spot and definitely don’t park if you don’t have a permit. Your car will be clamped and you’ll be charged a standard penalty fee.

Also, if you drive to university only on occasion, then you can buy coupons for the day and park in the Student Permit designated areas. If you’re only parking for a few hours there’s also the option of using Pay and Display machines ($2.50/hour, maximum 4 hours) but this can add up if you choose this too often!

For more about parking see here or talk to Security.

What’s the haps?!: 23 Feb-1 March 2015

Events from 23rd February to 1st March

Monday 23rd:

  • Orientation Market: 10am-3pm at UCSA car park. Get everything sorted for the year ahead, collect your O-Bag and get tonnes of free stuff!

Tuesday 24th:

Wednesday 25th:

Thursday 26th:

Friday 27th: 

Saturday 28th: 

Sunday 1st:

It’s more than just a student ID


Yes, getting your Canterbury Card made during enrolment is a formal procedure and you have to get your photo taken (which can be a little awkward) but what many of us are unaware of is that it’s more than just a student ID!

To get formality out of the way, it’s best to mention the academic uses of the card which sums up why it’s mandatory to have one on you at all times. Your Canterbury Card is also the following apparently:

  • Library card
  • UC Students’ Association membership card
  • Debit card on campus (for printing, internet and library charges etc)
  • Security access card (for after hours access to buildings and secure bike stands)

Your card is most useful during exams as it’s absolutely crucial that you have it when you sit an exam in order to be identified. It’s also essential for borrowing texts and relevant material from campus libraries, especially if you’re smart enough to use the library resources rather than investing in your own.

For all you social beings out there, the ID is useful for more than just academic purposes; it gets you into all UCSA events and The Foundry. It’s mandatory to sign up to any club on Clubs Day and gets you some great student deals at the movies and other events where applicable.

Getting a card is simple; if you’re a new student just go up to Level 3 in Puaka-James Hight and on the left hand side of the stairs is the desk to get one. Be ready to get your picture taken! Make sure you look your best (mine is a terrible picture and I have to live with it for all of eternity! Learn from my mistakes, people). If you’re a current student and were careless enough to lose your card, you can get one made there too; and at any other time during the year just go to the Security Office.

If you need more information on things like How to Use Your Canterbury Card, Adding Funds and the Refund Policy go ahead and click hereand as always you can comment below with any questions or concerns regarding your card and its uses.

%d bloggers like this: