If you haven’t heard already, UC Orientation Day is this Friday!
It’s the biggest event hosted by UC and is something you don’t want to miss. So if you’re new to UC this year, come along to Ilam Fields this Friday the 20th at 9am and seat yourself under the Big Top for an energetic, fun-filled day. The great thing about this year’s event is that parents who attend, have their own orientation!
It starts off with a formal welcome by the man himself, Dr Rod Carr and the Mayor decided to drop in too! Students then get taken to groups to mingle and meet a bunch of new people before being taken into a briefing session by their respective departments. After a quick (and free) lunch, there’s finally professional entertainment! A comic show by professional comedians promises to be a riot that will leave you in splits.
Be sure to register yourself for the day and there’s plenty of free parking available in theClyde andUCSAcar parks. It’s going to be a great, highly energetic day and make sure you bring your happiest self to an event that is sure to set you up for a great year at UC.
As always, feel free to comment on this post with any questions or concerns. Otherwise, there are plenty of students and staff on site on Friday to help you fit right in.
UC Health Centre
A visit to the doctor can be pretty expensive right? Which is why it’s awesome that you can visit a doctor’s office on UC grounds, and pay a cheaper fee!
However just be aware that as a student of Canterbury University, you’re not automatically enrolled for the Health Centre. Sign up by Monday 23 February 2015, otherwise you’ll miss the strict deadline and be stuck paying for doctors visits while other students get them for free. If you’re an international student it works a little different as you must have insurance cover, so talk to the friendly Health Centre staff about that.
You’re welcome to use the Health Centre without enrolling, but you’ll end up paying more. Luckily it’s really easy to sign up as a patient! Just fill out the patient enrolment form and hand it in at the Health Centre.
- The Health Centre also provides a fantastic counselling service which you are welcome to use if you need it. In most cases this service is free to students who have paid their levy.
- Quality physiotherapy treatment is another provided service. There is no charge for the first appointment if it’s covered by ACC.
What you may need to know:
- Medical appointments are 15 minutes long. If you think you’ll require longer please advise the receptionist when you book!
- If your needs are urgent (such as an emergency) you will be seen to on that day.
- You will be charged for an appointment even if you don’t show up. Call the receptionist to cancel if you think you won’t make it.
If you have any further enquiries about the UC Health Centre please email firstname.lastname@example.org or give them all call: 364 2402.
The library is organising ‘Book Giveaways’ during 2015 to give you the opportunity to obtain withdrawn books for your personal collection.
Next Date: Friday 13 March
Time: 2.15 pm – 3 pm.
Venue: Level 3, North side, Central Library, Puaka-James Hight building.
The new owner is the first person who wants the book. Please bring your own bags to take the books away.
A book is in the giveaway because:
- It no longer meets the demands of the course or research it was purchased for; or
- Fewer copies of the title are now required; or
- It is damaged and has been replaced; or
- It was donated but does not meet the “in scope” criteria for Learning, Teaching and Research at UC.