Tag Archives: behaviour & responsibilities

Know the Code

Congratulations on making it through the first half of the semester! The break is a great time to refresh and recharge, but it’s also important to check you’re still following the Student Code of Conduct.

As a student you’ll try new things, make mistakes and learn from them, but you still have a responsibility to keep yourself and others safe and not bring UC into disrepute. 

It’s important to know and follow the Student Code of Conduct, which you agreed to when enrolling. Know the Code sets out your rights and responsibilities so that everyone can enjoy a safe learning, living and working environment. 

Something not right? 

If there’s anything troubling you, we want to know. Find out how you can formally raise a concern, complaint, grievance or appeal a decision here> 

You can also reach out to our UC support services for help and advice if you’ve got something on your mind: 

Sexual harm: it’s safe to talk

If you’re feeling bad or anxious about something that’s happened but you’re not sure it’s sexual harm, you’re right to seek help. Safe to talk is free, confidential and puts you in touch with trained specialists. They can answer your questions about sexual harm and connect you to support services. Find out more.

What is sexual consent?

Do you have all the facts on sexual consent? Watch this video from New Zealand Police to hear uni students’ views on sexual consent – what it is, how to ask for it, and how to know when you’ve got it. 

A person consents to sexual activity if they do it actively, freely, voluntarily and consciously without being pressured into it. 

Sexual violence includes any unwanted or unconsented sexual behaviour, comments or harassment. 

No consent = sexual violence

Sexual Harm

If something happens to you or someone you know:

  • Get to a safe place if you are able.
  • Call Tiaki Paenga | UC Security on 0800 823 637 or through one of the pourewa | help point towers stationed around campus. 
  • If you don’t feel comfortable calling UC Security, consider calling someone you know and trust or the Police (dial 111) so that they can help you make the next step.

Find out more information about sexual consent here>