Since the opening of UC Arts at the Arts Centre in 2017, this site has been the location for a popular series of public talks entitled An Evening With. For 2021 the theme of An Evening With is ‘Town & Gown’; connecting members of our community with the work and research of UC staff.
The series launches on Tuesday April 13 with current UC Arts Ursula Bethel Writer in Residence, Vana Manasiadis, in conversation with English lecturer, Nicholas Wright. They will be discussing Vana’s recent collection of poems, The Grief Almanac: A Sequel (2019) as well as a new collection she is working on as part of her residency.
The 2021 lineup features an exciting group of speakers from both inside UC and our community. Events are free, but do require booking a ticket via the event listing. These events will be listed on the UC Events page and the UC Arts Facebook page as the year progresses so please look out for talks featuring the following fantastic speakers:
- Joanna Norris (Christchurch NZ) in conversation with Ekant Veer
- Kamala Hayman (editor of The Press) in conversation Peter Field & LindaJean Kenix
- Mike Fisher (urban planner and former GM of Riverside Market) with Simon Kingham & Rita Dionisio
- Matt Brown & Sarah Brown from She is Not Your Rehab presenting with Phil Borell
- Abby Cunnane (director, The Physics Room) with Barbara Garrie & Terri Elder
- Superintendent John Price (Christchurch District Police Commander) with Jarrod Gilbert
If you’d like advance notice of the dates any of these talks, please email email@example.com
With Semester One in full swing, we hope you’re settling into campus life! If you’re new around here, allow us to introduce ourselves: we’re the University of Canterbury Students’ Association (or The UCSA) and we’re here to help you get the most out of your time at uni!
Led by a governance team of elected student reps, the UCSA is independent from the University, and we run a heap of student-focused support services, fun events, and even some great bars and cafes.
We’d definitely encourage you to explore our services – a few of them are highlighted below, but do check out our website for the full picture. You can also stay connected with us through social media: @theUCSA on Facebook and @ucsa_nz on Instagram.
- Orientation and Re-Orientation
- Wellness Expos
- Award ceremonies
- Free daytime activations
- We provide support to 160 clubs and societies on campus
- Independent student advocacy
- Subsidised dental service
- Subsidised optometry
- Early learning centres
- Welfare and financial services
- Class representatives
- Borrow a bike
- Borrow a calculator
- Charger library
- Menstruation support
Food and Beverage Outlets:
- The Foundry
- Café 1894
- Nuts & Bolts
- The Food Court
- Facebook @theUCSA
- Instagram @ucsa_nz
- CANTA magazine
The UC Centre for Entrepreneurship’s Summer Startup Programme is a 10-week accelerator which gives students an opportunity to fast-track their business ventures and social enterprises. The Showcase features pitches from the top 10 teams and is your chance to witness Canterbury innovation at its finest. Over 250 seats have already been reserved – make sure you secure your free ticket, now!
Thursday, 4 February at The Piano, 156 Armagh Street, Christchurch.
- 5:00pm Doors open
- 5:30pm Pitches and awards
- 6:30pm Networking, drinks and nibbles