Here’s a look at some of the cool events that are happening around Christchurch over the first week of the university break!
- 2015 Cavell Leitch NZ Jazz and Blues Festival: There are many awesome international, and homegrown acts on this year’s line-up! Pricing varies depending on which show you want to attend, so have a look online. The festival runs from Tuesday 7th- Sunday 12th.
- Phantom of the Opera: The longest running show in Broadway history will be brought to Christchurch’s Isaac Theatre Royal this April. The show runs from Thursday 9th-May 2nd. Tickets start at $72.50 and can be purchased online.
- Community Market: This market is held every Thursday in Linwood, at 51 Pages Rd from 8.00am-1.00pm. New and used goods, hot food and coffee will be on sale. Who knows, you may find some treasures!
- Cookarama: 10.00am-4pm the Rotary Club of Chch will be holding their Cookarama event! Stalls will be selling delicious baked goods, fresh produce, kitchen appliances, books, plants, raffle tickets and more. Proceeds raised will be donated to the Royal NZ Foundation of the Blind.
- SAGA International Tabletop Day: Held by SAGA here at UC, this event is a chance to break out the some classic board games! 8.00, Kirkwood G7, H3, H5. Free for members, gold coin for non-members.
- New Brighton Seaside Market: This great community market is held from 10.00am-2.00pm every Saturday. Grab some food, or find some bargains, and take a walk down the beach while you’re there!
- Pendulum DJ Set @ the Foundry: 9.00pm-2.00am. This is an R18 event, and tickets can be purchased online.
- The Darkroom’s Best Books Sale: The second day of this event will be held today from 11-4pm.
- Cocopelli Inaugural Pizza Eating Contest: The first prize is $500, and a YEAR’S WORTH OF FREE PIZZA! Check out the pizza eaters, or enter yourself. Be there from 3pm-5pm outside Cocopelli Bar at The Palms to get in on the action.
Check out the various events in store for you this week on campus!
Monday 23 March:
- UC PSYC Coffee Connect: From 11am in Undercroft 101, UC PSYC will be having a coffee connect mentoring afternoon. Make sure you’re there if you want to be buddied up with a helpful postgrad student for the year!
- U-CAN-SPEAK: Elevator Pitch Session ie. advice on job interviews, networking and creating a positive first impression. 7pm, KE4 – Kirkwood Village.
- UCANDance Modern Jive and Bachata Classes: From 7.15-10pm in the Burnside High School Dance Room. $3 for students, and $5 for non-students.
Tuesday 24 March:
- Young Labour Coffee (but this time it’s for the teaching students!): 12pm in the Education Building, at Dovedale Campus. All welcome.
- Tower Race in the Library! The famous Tower Race is taking place once again! 11 levels, 264 stairs and a shocking 53m vertical climb. There are a few prizes up for grabs and they aren’t all based on speed! 12pm-2pm.
Wednesday 25 March:
Thursday 26 March:
- U-CAN-SPEAK: Area speech contest. 7pm, KC4- Kirkwood Village.
Friday 27 March:
- FORSOC BBQ #1: Location will be given on the day. BBQ starts at 1pm. Members free, and $10 sign ups.
On the 14th of March The Color Run will be hitting Christchurch! I’ll give you the quick low down on what it is and how to get involved…
The Color Run is a 5km fun run (nicknamed the happiest run on the planet) with a bit of a difference. As participants run they will be covered in coloured cornstarch by throwers until they end the race looking like a rainbow! There are four colour zones that participants will pass through: pink, green, blue and yellow – which makes for some crazy colourful runners! If you want to see what all the fuss is about then check out some images from last year’s Color Runs…
Once you’ve finished your run there’s still more excitement to come as you’ll be able to attend the Finish Festival. This is a chance to let your hair down and boogie the afternoon away, while throwing colour at everyone else!
This year spaces in Christchurch’s Color Run are filling up fast (buy tickets quickly if you want to be a runner!). However, if you don’t want to be a runner UC’s very own Student Volunteer Army can make sure you’re still involved.
SVA has teamed up with the Color Run to bring you the ultimate volunteering opportunity! If you’ve ever wanted to throw paint at someone (maybe even at yourself), or squirt people with water pistols as they run past, here’s your chance! They’ll also be cheering on thousands of colorful runners, and making the day brighter for everyone! SVA makes it easy for you to help out by providing free buses to and from the venue (leaving from the UCSA carpark), as well as filling up your tum with a free BBQ! There will also be a special after party, at Bentley’s bar, for all volunteers at the end of the day (with a hefty bar tab of course!). Now that I’ve reeled you in with all the enticing details I’m sure you’ll want to know how to get involved…
Well luckily it’s pretty simple, just register online as a volunteer, and make sure you choose SVA on the second page when it asks what group you are arriving with.
Get onto it now!