I graduated with my Undergraduate Degree last week, in Media and Communication, and Psychology. So I took this opportunity to go to the famous Grad Ball!
The theme was 1920s/Casino, which made the night seem really special as I dressed up, and donned some long satin gloves, pearls and a frilly dress. After a celebratory glass of wine or two with my friends we headed off to the Foundry, where the UCSA had set up buses to transport everyone to and from the event. This was especially helpful at the end of the night, so I didn’t have to pay an extreme taxi fare! When we got to the venue at Addington Raceway we were given a glass of bubbles of arrival, and were invited to have a professional photo taken in front of some grand old cars. This was pretty cool, and really set the tone for a special night!
From our $70 ticket we were promised two drink vouchers (as well as the glass on the door), a selection of 10 different canapes, and also a delicious dessert… and we weren’t disappointed. There was food everywhere, and everything I sampled was really tasty! The dessert was pretty special, a giant slab cake in the shape of a poker table- complete with chocolate coins for the chips!
For entertainment there was a burlesque style dancer, blackjack and poker tables, and a large stage where a few bands and a DJ played. The music was great to have a dance to, and many of the songs were ones from the 90s, which brought back great memories of my primary school disco days. We also had a go at the blackjack table which was a real laugh, however it would have been cool if there were prizes for the winners of each round!
Overall I had a wonderful evening, and made some new memories with my friends that I’ll never forget (especially with some crazy photos for proof). I had so much fun that I think when I finish with Honours this year at UC, I’ll go again! I highly recommend it!
Here’s a look at some of the cool events that are happening around Christchurch over the first week of the university break!
- 2015 Cavell Leitch NZ Jazz and Blues Festival: There are many awesome international, and homegrown acts on this year’s line-up! Pricing varies depending on which show you want to attend, so have a look online. The festival runs from Tuesday 7th- Sunday 12th.
- Phantom of the Opera: The longest running show in Broadway history will be brought to Christchurch’s Isaac Theatre Royal this April. The show runs from Thursday 9th-May 2nd. Tickets start at $72.50 and can be purchased online.
- Community Market: This market is held every Thursday in Linwood, at 51 Pages Rd from 8.00am-1.00pm. New and used goods, hot food and coffee will be on sale. Who knows, you may find some treasures!
- Cookarama: 10.00am-4pm the Rotary Club of Chch will be holding their Cookarama event! Stalls will be selling delicious baked goods, fresh produce, kitchen appliances, books, plants, raffle tickets and more. Proceeds raised will be donated to the Royal NZ Foundation of the Blind.
- SAGA International Tabletop Day: Held by SAGA here at UC, this event is a chance to break out the some classic board games! 8.00, Kirkwood G7, H3, H5. Free for members, gold coin for non-members.
- New Brighton Seaside Market: This great community market is held from 10.00am-2.00pm every Saturday. Grab some food, or find some bargains, and take a walk down the beach while you’re there!
- Pendulum DJ Set @ the Foundry: 9.00pm-2.00am. This is an R18 event, and tickets can be purchased online.
- The Darkroom’s Best Books Sale: The second day of this event will be held today from 11-4pm.
- Cocopelli Inaugural Pizza Eating Contest: The first prize is $500, and a YEAR’S WORTH OF FREE PIZZA! Check out the pizza eaters, or enter yourself. Be there from 3pm-5pm outside Cocopelli Bar at The Palms to get in on the action.