Some of you may have noticed the UCSA cafes seems to have switched coffee suppliers. Out with Jailbreaker Roastery, and in with Common Good Coffee Roasters. But what you may not have realised… is it is still the same supplier, just rebranded! (which explains why it still tastes so delicious.)
Change is good. Same coffee, same people, new name, bigger story!
So why do we love Common Good Coffee so much?
- It’s Fairtrade certified (and as a Fair Trade accredited university, we would drink no less)
- It’s organic (no nasties)
- It’s delicious (obviously)
- Its roasted locally (just down the road at Addington Coffee Co-op in fact)
- Plus, we know exactly where the beans come from (the Ethiopian Sidamo bean comes from Oromia Coffee Farmers’ Cooperative Union, with premiums from coffee exports returned directly to farmers, and also used to fund initiatives such as food security and organic farming programmes)
- All Common Good’s profits are reinvested back into communities around the world (ok… tell us more)
Common Good Coffee Roasters is part of a bigger picture. MUCH bigger in fact. They are part of a wider business called Common Good, which acts as a vehicle to give consumers, producers and their communities the ability to make the changes in their lives that they wanted to see.
They began this journey 10 years ago, under the familiar names of Jailbreaker Coffee Roastery, Liminal Apparel, and Addington Coffee Co-op, roasting and making the delicious coffee you drink on campus, and also providing ethically made tee-shirts and bags. Over 1 million coffees, untold tons of coffee beans, and thousands of ethical tee’s and bags later, they were ready for the next step. Part of the business is now shifted and based in Kolkata, India, where the team behind your daily coffee has been creating jobs and employment for women in their communities, through their apparel and wristband business, now called Common Good Apparel.
Excited? Inspired? Still have questions? Check out Common Good, to see and learn more about how they are doing business for good. Or, follow them on Facebook and Instagram @commongoodcoffeenz.
So. It’s more than just your cup of morning coffee, but at the same time… It’s all about that cup of morning coffee. We are all part of a journey to make good a little more common. And we are proud to have them here at UC!
Catch Common Good at this year’s Fair Trade Fortnight! From the 3 – 16 August, UC Sustainability is holding talks, movie screenings, and a Fair Trade Fair on campus. Keep your eyes out on our Facebook page for more info!