I am all too familiar with the demographic of attendees in the Foundry. I am usually one of a handful of veteran postgrad event attendees. I think you’re only as old as you feel and every Winterlude I feel like the innocent and curious 18-year-old me that first stumbled into Once Upon a Time. I enjoy a dress up theme more than a three-year-old on her first day of kindy. I love that I discovered one of my favourite bands thanks to the UCSA’s impeccable ability to bring us great acts that are lesser known and obviously not bank-breaking artists. And that’s why you’ll still spot me at most Foundry gigs.
With Winterlude 2017 coming up, I’m blown away yet again by the diversity and volume of events the UCSA has managed to gift to the students. While I’m a postgrad that arguably still has 99/100 undergrad characteristics, I truly believe there’s something for everyone in this year’s Winterlude. The most common misconception I’ve heard this year as my first year of being a ‘postgrad’ is that UCSA events are for the undergrads, that certain spaces are taken over by undergrads, $2 rice is such an undergrad thing. It’s not. Embrace everything and everyone. Be open minded and enjoy the UC culture.
Fellow postgrads, if you’re a fan of SACHI, you’ll find me there July 19 cutting mad shapes on the D-floor. If you’re like me and love that vibe, don’t think you won’t be warmly welcomed by all the excited undergrads to this event. And if that’s not your thing at all, the International Food Market is high up on my Winterlude favourites list, or the Winter Wellness Expo which always brightens up the cold mornings at the start of the semester. Trust me, Winterlude is fun, get amongst!
See what’s on at Winterlude>
Check out what events are happening on campus this week!
- The Local Exchange: Bring some along to trade with The Local Exchange, and be prepared to barter! 11-2pm in the Undercroft. Intrigued???… check it out!
- Film Screening FEMSOC: ‘But I’m A Cheerleader Now’- a satirical rom com. Go along to Kirkwood KH08, at 5.10pm.
- COMPSoc BBQ #2: 1pm at 29 Wilfred St. Free food, and free drinks- what’s not to love? Free entry for members, $5 door sales for non-members.
- Law Stein– 8pm Harringtons Riccarton.
- GC and CUBA present…FULL MOON PARTY: 8pm, tickets online at $15. Neon and UV colour galore, groovy tunes, and band Just A Gent.
Here’s a look at some of the cool events that are happening around Christchurch over the first week of the university break!
- 2015 Cavell Leitch NZ Jazz and Blues Festival: There are many awesome international, and homegrown acts on this year’s line-up! Pricing varies depending on which show you want to attend, so have a look online. The festival runs from Tuesday 7th- Sunday 12th.
- Phantom of the Opera: The longest running show in Broadway history will be brought to Christchurch’s Isaac Theatre Royal this April. The show runs from Thursday 9th-May 2nd. Tickets start at $72.50 and can be purchased online.
- Community Market: This market is held every Thursday in Linwood, at 51 Pages Rd from 8.00am-1.00pm. New and used goods, hot food and coffee will be on sale. Who knows, you may find some treasures!
- Cookarama: 10.00am-4pm the Rotary Club of Chch will be holding their Cookarama event! Stalls will be selling delicious baked goods, fresh produce, kitchen appliances, books, plants, raffle tickets and more. Proceeds raised will be donated to the Royal NZ Foundation of the Blind.
- SAGA International Tabletop Day: Held by SAGA here at UC, this event is a chance to break out the some classic board games! 8.00, Kirkwood G7, H3, H5. Free for members, gold coin for non-members.
- New Brighton Seaside Market: This great community market is held from 10.00am-2.00pm every Saturday. Grab some food, or find some bargains, and take a walk down the beach while you’re there!
- Pendulum DJ Set @ the Foundry: 9.00pm-2.00am. This is an R18 event, and tickets can be purchased online.
- The Darkroom’s Best Books Sale: The second day of this event will be held today from 11-4pm.
- Cocopelli Inaugural Pizza Eating Contest: The first prize is $500, and a YEAR’S WORTH OF FREE PIZZA! Check out the pizza eaters, or enter yourself. Be there from 3pm-5pm outside Cocopelli Bar at The Palms to get in on the action.