In need of a workout to get your week off to a productive start? Visit UC Rec&Sport Facebook for free livestream fitness classes every day – including HIIT, yoga and zumba to keep your body moving!
Download the Rec&Sport app to view this week’s timetable and set yourself reminders for classes you’d like to tune in for.
Keeping to a routine will go a long way to keeping you in good physical and mental health – stay active and stay connected with UC Rec&Sport.
Throughout this time, we still have the same opportunity for happiness that we did before, but it’s all about looking in different places to find it. Remember that there are simple things in life that can give you joy. Here are some ways that you can take notice and spark the joy in you:
- Reflect on what you are grateful for each day. Share with your friends and family online or note down in a gratitude journal.
- Take time to appreciate the beauty in the world around your home.
- Go outside and breathe in the fresh air when you can.
- Care for and watch the plants in your room grow as the days pass.
- Spend time with your pets. Take notice of how happy they are to have you around.
- Take the time to thank someone for how they make you feel.
- Do a mindfulness exercise on YouTube.
Mindfulness takes practice. Here are some ideas that you can do throughout your day to stay positive and present:
The COVID-19 outbreak is a reminder to us about how we can help keep ourselves and everyone around us healthy.
- If you have respiratory symptoms (such as coughing, difficulty in breathing and a fever) in the first instance please call (do not to visit the health centre). Phone on +64 3369 4444 and visit the website for more information.
- If you have been travelling, in contact with someone with COVID-19, or have concerns you may have COVID-19 please firstly phone the Healthline 0800 358 5453. If they advise you to go to your GP, then please ring the Health Centre to advise them of your attendance +64 3369 4444.
- You are encouraged to stay away from classes and events if you are unwell.
- Given the unique set of circumstances we are facing we are trying to minimise wait times at the health centre. For simple things like prescription repeats or short term illness the medical centre can arrange over the phone consultations and medical certificates. Phone for an appointment, and then you will receive a call from the Doctor and an email of your certificate.
- It seems simple, but regularly washing your hands with soap and drying thoroughly will help prevent the transfer of germs.
- Our clever product design students are working on hand sanitiser to sell right here on campus. Stay tuned!
The Ministry of Health provides this great summary of health tips on how to protect yourself and others:
– Cough or sneeze into your elbow or by covering your mouth and nose with tissues.
– Put used tissues in the bin or a bag immediately.
– Wash your hands with soap and water often.
– Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
– Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
– Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects, such as doorknobs.
– Stay home if you feel unwell and call Healthline on 0800 358 5453