Fee changes for domestic students enrolled at the UC Health Centre
While the cost of consultations at the UC Health Centre are subsidised partly by the Student Services Levy, the Ministry of Health (MoH) provides the bulk of the UC Health Centre funding.
MoH has recently changed the way it funds primary healthcare services, and the amount of funding they provide for your healthcare at the UC Health Centre now depends on whether you have a Community Services Card.
What this means for you
- If you are enrolled at the UC Health Centre and you have a Community Services Card, most of your GP consultations will continue to be free.
- If you are enrolled at the UC Health Centre and you don’t have a Community Services Card, a $15 fee will apply for every GP consultation.
Apply for a Community Services Card
If you don’t already have a Community Services Card, make sure you apply for one as soon as possible if you are eligible for one.
Visit the Work and Income website for more information about a Community Services Card and how to apply.
Find out more about UC Health Centre fees on the UC Health Centre web page.
The UC Health Centre | Whare Hauora o UC is here to help you stay healthy and well while you are studying. UC Health provides full GP (General Practitioner), medical, counselling and related services, including:
- Treatment of all medical conditions
- Injury treatment
- Professional Counselling Service
- Sexual health check-ups and advice
- Travel advice and vaccines
- Flu vaccinations
- Hearing tests
- Asthma monitoring
- Smoking cessation assistance
- Minor surgery – such as the removal of moles
- Medicals for travel, employment etc.
New students and their family | whānau are welcome to drop into UC Health if you have any questions or wish to have a look around.
Find out more about services, fees and how to register at the UC Health Centre
Tips for new students
- Register with UC Health as soon as possible to make sure you are eligible for free healthcare when you need it.
- If you are a New Zealand resident, apply as soon as possible for your Community Services Card.
UC Health Centre is also here to support you to stay healthy and well. You’ve got to nourish – mentally and physically – to flourish. UC Nurse Wendy gives great advice. For example:
Swim like a fish through stress>
This can be a challenging time of year for students. Here is a list of UC support services and resources.
Health/ Welfare / Support Services on campus: