Living in a private residence and planning a party with your mates? Register it online with the Good One party register.
When parties go bad, it’s always worst for the hosts. Good One is all about helping you have a great party without things getting too hairy.
Good One provides a method of registering a private party with the police, to ensure a safe and enjoyable time for all those involved. It’s an initiative backed by a number of community and government organisations, as well as UC and the UCSA.
Check out the UCSA website for more details.
About 30 PhD students and their friends and families celebrated the Iranian New Year, Nowruz, at the University of Canterbury last Friday.
March 21 is the UN-declared International Day of Nowruz which falls on the first day of Spring in the Northern Hemisphere and has been celebrated in Iran and other countries for thousands of years.
The Christchurch event was organised by the newly formed University of Canterbury Iranian Society (UCIS) and included a traditional Haft-Seen table, a tabletop arrangement of at least seven symbolic items all starting with the letter ‘S’.
People were treated to traditional setar playing, classical Persian poetry, Iranian-style tea, Iranian fresh dates and traditional sweets.
Former Mayor of Christchurch Gary Moore, Fendalton and Waimairi local community board member Fahimeh Burke and the University of Canterbury’s Associate Dean International for the College of Engineering, Dave Wareham spoke at the event.
I (UCIS President Donna Miles) believe the event’s popularity shows the Iranians’ yearning to stay connected with their rich culture and heritage.
-Written by Donna Miles
BRRRRR its cold in here, there must be some Winterlude events in the atmosphere… That’s right its that time again, check out what’s in store for the beginning of semester 2!
- Monday Movie Night (Ucom and ENSOC): ‘Step Brothers’- C2 lecture theatre 8.00-10.00pm. Gold Coin Donation $
- UC Psyc Quiz Night: 7.00pm-Late!
- Education Careers Fair: 10am-2.00pm on Dovedale Campus- Drama Workshop 1, Jack Mann Auditorium.
- Police UV Marking: Bring your property along (eg. laptops/cameras/phones etc) to be marked with a solution only visible under UV light. So if it gets stolen and the code is identified by police you’re more likely to get your stuff back! Pretty nifty aye. 11.30am-1.30m in the Undercroft.
- Pecha Kucha: ‘Pecha Kucha’ is a presentation style in which public speakers receive 20 slides that are shown for 20 seconds. In doing this, these speakers are pushed to their limits by utilising pace, concise/accurate flow and delivering an informative and intelligent presentation. Starts at 8.30pm (doors open at 7.30), in the UCSA events centre. UC student tickets online for $5.
- Show and Tell Feminist Bookclub (Femsoc): 5.10pm Kirkwood KC05.
- Once upon a time party: Live music across three themed stages- this is an event not to miss! There’s even a silent disco…. oohhh ahhh. 8pm-1am in the UCSA events centre Tickets $30
- UCSA Charity Fight Night: A select group of students have chosen to undergo rigorous training to compete in this boxing event! The proceeds collected will go to each boxer’s charity of choice. 6.00pm at the UCSA events centre. Tickets $39