A growing number of students are taking a gap year before starting university. Were you one of them?
- What challenges did you face after taking a year out?
- How did you get back into study mode?
- How did taking a gap year help you succeed at uni?
- What do you wish someone had told you before you started your gap year?
One tip we’ve heard is “don’t throw away your Year 13 study notes as they can be a useful refresher before starting uni.”
Do you have other tips, advice or experiences to share?
UC’s Liaison team is compiling a list of tips so we can share these with students starting uni in 2019 after a gap year or with those taking a gap year in 2019.
Please share your tips and advice by clicking ‘leave a comment’ under the heading of this blog or by emailing email@example.com
If you submit your tip before 26 June 2018, you will go in the draw to win a $50 Westfield voucher.
Nominations for the New Zealander of the Year awards are already coming in.
- 41 people have been nominated for the 2018 New Zealander of the Year title.
- There has been a surge in nominations for former Green Party co-leader Metiria Turei since her resignation.
- Other nominated New Zealanders for 2018 Kiwibank New Zealander of the Year include:
- Peter Burling – Team New Zealand helmsman
- Mark Dunajtschik – Wellington Children’s Hospital benefactor
- Nicky Hager – author
- Heather Henare – Skylight CEO and former CEO of Women’s Refuge New Zealand
- Mike King – mental health advocate
- Nigel Latta – psychologist and author
- Jono Pryor – television and radio personality
After nominations close on 18 September 2017, a judging panel – comprising representatives of awards patrons, presenters, sponsors, community leaders and independent experts – will evaluate the nominations. The shortlist of 10 candidates to be considered for the New Zealander of the Year Award will be announced in December.
Nominations are also being sought for exceptional New Zealanders in the following categories:
- University of Auckland Young New Zealander of the Year (15-30 years)
- Metlifecare Senior New Zealander of the Year (60 years and over)
- Kiwibank New Zealand Local Hero of the Year
- Sanitarium New Zealand Innovator of the Year
- Mitre10 New Zealand Community of the Year
More information on the 2018 New Zealander of the Year Awards is at www.nzawards.org.nz
The UC campus is all geared up for graduation ceremonies on 14 and 16 December.
This includes a brand new semi-permanent sign installed in front of the C-Block Lecture Theatre Lawn. So students, their friends, families and whanau can pose for photos beside it in their caps and gowns. People can pose in front of it, behind it, or around it.
We encourage you to share your photos online to celebrate your successes and achievements this year. You can use the #ucnow and #ucgrad hashtags to help others find your photos online.
This sign will stay onsite as required and will be updated for 2017 Orientation to help welcome new students to UC!