Getting a good night’s sleep will help your mind stay focused during your exams and will help you to feel more energised throughout the day. Sleep is more than just a time for your body and mind to rest. Sleep can help reduce stress and improve your memory, sleep also helps the body repair itself as well as making you more alert and energised for the day.
Here are some tips and tricks for helping you get the right amount of zzzz’s:
• Allow for 7-9 hours of sleep per night. While sleep requirements vary slightly from person to person, most healthy adults need between 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night to function at their best.
• Be consistent. Go to bed at the same time each night and get up at the same time each morning, including on the weekends
• Make sure your bedroom is quiet, dark, relaxing, and at a comfortable temperature
• Remove electronic devices, such as TVs, computers, and smart phones, from the bedroom
• Avoid large meals, caffeine, and alcohol before bedtime
• Get some exercise. Being physically active during the day can help you fall asleep more easily at night.
• Meditation or reading before bed can also help to calm the mind ready for sleep.
Check out this clip for a 10 minute meditation exercise to help with sleep.
For many of us the idea of sitting an exam can be a stressful and overwhelming experience therefore during these times it is important that we remember to take care of ourselves and our wellbeing.
Here are some handy tips to reduce stress and help you to get through the exam season:
- Take regular breaks and schedule in fun things to do.
- Revise with a friend.
- Get outside and soak in some sun and fresh air.
- Be active.
- Celebrate small wins, reward yourself each time you complete a task or answer an equation correct.
- Enjoy a good meal.
- Spend time with friends and family.
- Treat yourself to a soak in the bath or a hot shower.
- Try writing a to do list for the day and tick off tasks as you complete them. Just the act of feeling like you are in control of your revision can help.
Most importantly remember to be kind to yourself. You are doing a great job!
The UC RecCentre will be closed on Monday 1 June – Queen’s Birthday. We will be open on Saturday and Sunday, with the usual booking systems in place.
Our team has been working super hard to open the facility under Alert Level 2 restrictions, and we’ve been delighted with the uptake and positive response.
So, we’re taking our own advice, and in order to look after you the best we can, we first need to look after ourselves. With this in mind, the whole team will be taking Monday 1 June off, so we can recharge our own wellbeing dials.
You can still get your exercise fix on our YouTube channel, and flip back through some of our 100+ recorded classes and workouts.
Or if you’re looking to develop your own self-care habit, check out these 151 ideas!
We thank you for your great work in returning to the gym safely, and for your ongoing support.
UC Rec&Sport Team