Did Term One come and go in a blur, and then you realised you’d only been to the gym twice? Do you need some extra motivation and accountability, but can’t afford to pay for personal training? Here’s where Small Group Training (SGT) can help. Read to the bottom and find out how you can get a $10 discount on your next SGT enrolment!
Why do small group training? Hear what two of our students have to say!
“SGT courses are a great way of adding something new into your workout routine, and I definitely find that working out in a group pushes me further than solo workouts do. The best part is seeing how much progress you’ve made by the end of the course”
Nina, 5th Year Biochemistry student (MSc)
“The best thing about SGT is coming home at 7.30am to your flatmates waking up knowing that you have finished your workout for the day”
Kiri, 3rd Year in Natural Resource Engineering
How does it work?
- You’ll turn up for your sessions each week with the same group of people. Often there’ll be elements of partner work or team games, so your group needs you to turn up!
- Term 2 courses run for 5 weeks (they’re normally 6 weeks).
- Sessions are held in various locations – the RecCentre, Kirkwood Village and outdoors.
How do I sign up and how much does it cost?
- Browse our Small Group Training webpages and check out the options available
- You can sign up at reception or over the phone – remember, you pay for all sessions up front, no refunds if you don’t turn up!
- We encourage you to look around and find the best location, activity and price to suit your budget (although we can say that we do keep our prices below market rate!)
- Need a little extra incentive? The first 10 people to email firstname.lastname@example.org asking for a $10 discount voucher will get one. Simple. It will be valid for use, one time only, in 2017!
Yours in health & fitness,
UC RecCentre Team
The gym is pumping right now and we’re stoked to see so many of you hitting the gym already. Having said that, an overcrowded gym is not fun for everyone, so when is the best time to train at the RecCentre?
As always, there is no simple answer, it all comes down to YOU. But here’s what we do know…
- The earlier you come to the RecCentre, the quieter it will be in both group fitness classes and the fitness spaces. Hit us up before 3pm each day for less crowds and faster workout times (less waiting and working in with others)
- The exception is Saturday, where everyone gets here for 9am opening and it’s much less busy from lunchtime until closing
You may find the crowds motivating and energising, or you may find they drain your soul and make you want to run for the hills! Both are perfectly valid responses, we just need to find ways to accommodate our individual needs. We suggest you try out different days and times until you find a time slot that works for both your personality, your schedule and your fitness buddy if you have one! Prioritise yourself and find a consistent time to exercise, blocking it out in your calendar as an appointment that can’t be rescheduled.
Need another incentive to hit the gym early? Enter your name in our competition box at reception, post-workout (we’ll be able to tell by your red workout faces!) between 6am and 3.00pm from March 20th until April 9th, Monday to Friday. Each day we’ll draw out one lucky winner who’ll receive a surprise pack of RecCentre goodies. (One entry per person, per day).
You’ve gotta be in (early) to win!
Lift. Move. Play.
Okay, so the headline is a shameless attempt to grab your attention, and it seems to have worked…
Step 1: Join (or rejoin if you’re a returning student) the RecCentre. It’s free. Head over to our website now, follow the links and sign up. You’ll need your UC login and password (the same ones you use for Learn and myUC), fill in your details, read and accept the terms and conditions, and you’re good to go! Come over any time. Your UC Card becomes your membership card, so you must bring that with you every visit to gain access through the turnstiles.
Step 2: Comment below, by 5/03/17 with TWO different activities, classes or fitness starter sessions available at the RecCentre, that you could put in your exercise plan each week to keep you healthy. Tell us which prize pack you’re keen on and why. It is that simple.
See you at the gym!
UC RecCentre Team
Prize Pack 1: 4x PushMe personal training sessions valued at $120,
RecCentre drink bottle, earbuds & toiletry minis.
Prize Pack 2: SteerMe personalised fitness plan valued at $25, towel/ball hire concession card valued at $14, spin concession card valued at $25, RecCentre drink bottle, earbuds & toiletry minis.
Prize Pack 3: Small Group Training voucher for 1x SGT course (subject to availability) valued at up to $99, RecCentre drink bottle, earbuds & toiletry minis.